Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

wiring pros help me out with this

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BlueOx, Jul 11, 2002.

1. BlueOx

BlueOx 1/2 ton status

Ok, I will start putting on the TBI system this next week but I have a question about the CHECK ENGINE LIGHT. I have a system off a 93 truck so, I can’t use the instrument cluster from that and I need to rig up a light some how.

OPTION 1
    This I what I did. I traced all the wires in the harness and marked them all. When it came time for the CHECK ENGINE LIGHT, I traced the wire all the way to the plug that goes into the instrument cluster and cut it there. What I was thinking was just adding a light to the end and ground the other end.

OPTION 2
    Get the instrument cluster out of a TBI Blazer/Suburban and splice that wire into it. This way I might have to splice more wires.

Does any one have any suggestions on how to and the light.

Thanks,
    Charles

2. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

If I remember correctly, down on the bottom of the speed guage or the fuel guage are some light options. I think they are like four-wheel drive indicator, Seat belt warning indicator and so on. You could drop the seat belt warning and use that hole for your check engine light. That way you could keep your current instrument cluster.

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

You can connect it to a small light or LED that you can mount anywhere on the dash. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Doesn't your truck cluster have the "choke" light along with the 4wd indicator, brake indicator, and seat belt indicators? Thats what I'd use....you could *probably* get a "check engine" overlay (they are just colored thin plastic with the words printed on it) out of any 80's GM car, and cut it to fit the "choke" light position. I know all my '81-up Cutlaii I've had/have use the "check engine" overlay which looks large enough to trim to fit a truck...(giving myself ideas for the TPI swap now lol)

Either that or leave it as "choke" since you know you don't have one, if that light comes on, you've REALLY got problems lol

5. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

Cutlaii..... /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif You crack me up Dorian!!