Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Wiring Q?

Discussion in 'Audio' started by k5james, Jul 20, 2005.

1. k5james

k5james 1/2 ton status

I'm finally getting ready to install the boxes I bought from Greg a while back. I have a quick wiring question though that will help me decide on an amp.

The speakers are 10w3d2's and each cabinet is wired to run at a 4 ohm load. Shouldn't I just be able to splice together the +/+ and -/- connections coming out of the two boxes to run it at a 2 ohm mono load?

I'm trying to decide if I should go with the nine.1 or nine.2 to run my subs.

http://edesignaudio.com/category.php?type=amps

I don't know jack when it comes to wiring so any input is appreciated.

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Have you checked Ebay for amps ?? I normally use Class "D" mono block amps for my subs. I run mine at 1ohm. Just make sure you have a big enough power cable. I'm running a 2 gauge kit, but probley should have got a 0 gauge kit. When I had a 4 gauge kit it shut down on me, had too wire it at 4ohm.

3. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

I would use the largest amp you could afford. You will have 4 voice coils connected to one output on your amp, and I forgot what the term for this is, but I remember that you will need a good amp for it to sound good. Maybe you buy a 2 channel amp and run them 4 ohm stereo?

4. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

I'd consider the 9.4 also....

Those subs played REALLY loud with ~200W/ch and I'm not sure that there's a sonic benefit to driving them with much more power than that.

The "ohms game" 400W @ 2 ohms (2 subs mono'ed) vs. 200W @ 4 ohms (each sub getting it's own 200W channel) doesn't really impress me....power can't be created out of thin air.....the bigger watts/lower ohms setup doesn't have the same speaker control (electrical damping) as the more traditional 2-channel setup.....that's the tradeoff you are making whether you realize it or not.

The result is sloppier, and less controlled speaker movement, especially on quick transient bass notes.

:cool:

5. k5james

k5james 1/2 ton status

Greg, could I get the nine.2 and run them monoed at 400w@4ohms? How would I need to wire them to do that if I did?

6. k5james

k5james 1/2 ton status

7. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

You can't get to a 4 ohm mono load with those subs.... each voice coil is 2 ohms so by series'ing them together you get a nice stable 4 ohm load (which is how I wired them)....or you could parallel them together and get a 1 ohm load per speaker. Combining the two speakers, you are either looking at an 8 ohm load (in series) or a 1/2 ohm load (in parallel) or some complex series/parallel combo that will yield you something in the 2 - 3 ohm range.....

Between those amps (and for the extra $20) I'd go with the 9.4 or that second option (Phoenix Gold?). Simple, decent 2-channel power and it has a 24 dB/oct crossover.... the distortion spec looks a little high (1%) but for a pure subwoofer amp, you won't hear that anyway.

Glad to see you're finally making use of those boxes!!! I'd cross them over at around 65 Hz for starters, and then let your ears tell you if you can go lower....depending on what your mid-basses are capable of.

:saweet:

8. k5james

k5james 1/2 ton status

Thanks, I'm still trying to get the hang of this car audio stuff. All of this ohms/series/parellel/volts/impedence talk is giving me a headache. :doah:

9. k5james

k5james 1/2 ton status

Ok, I think I'm going to pick from one of these.

avionixx axt800.2
    PG x200.2
    MTX Audio Thunder942

I'm leaning towards the 9.4 as I would like to keep my system all ED but it doesn't have the power of the other three. Decisions, decisions. :(