Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Wiring Q's

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 68MUDSTUD, Sep 2, 2006.

1. 68MUDSTUD

68MUDSTUD OCD with shiny things

ok guys i have 2 wires that arent accounted for and have no idea where they go... they both come out of the cowl/hood gutter, one is black, black is almost ALWAYS a ground isnt it? second one is green, and its got a little clip on the end... both are on the passengers side, the green wire comes out, about 2 foot long, and the black is cut off about 6 inches out of that plastic gutter...

the black wire...
    [​IMG]

the green wire (No, its not the temp sender)
    [​IMG]

anyone have this on their K5 or pickup? The yellow wire comes straight from the positive battery terminal...
    [​IMG]

2. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

I just went out and looked at my 70. The black wire on mine goes to a solenoid that stops vac advance until the motor is warmed up. The green DOES go to the temp sending unit. Mine also has the junction block over by the battery. I believe it is the hot feed for the fusebox.????

3. 68MUDSTUD

your temp sender is on drivers side right? this is passenger side. i have a green wire on drivers side going to my temp sender and then this gren wire on the pass. side. :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: its got me all sorts of confused... oh btw, anyone know where a good place would be to get a complete taillight wiring harness? Besides LMC or Classic Parts?

4. 68MUDSTUD

nevermind on the taillight wiring... just ordered one.

BUMP!

5. 70jimmy

70jimmy 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Released from Pueblo, told I belong in Southpark
    Looking at my haynes manual it doesn't really show what wires go thru the plastic gutter. but it shows a black wire going from the fuse block on the firewall to a fuse and then to the junction block you have pictured, out of the juntion block a black wire goes thru a fusible link to the positive sid of the battery and a red wired goes back to the fuse panel on the firewall but splits prior to that and goes to the ac generator if equipped.

There is also a a dark and a light green wire that go from firewall to the tail and stop lamp harness connector, perhaps that is the one with the plug. You should be able to trace to the other side of the plastic gutter and see where the wires originate from. Sorry that is all I can find and my wiring is a mess so not worth looking at. I don't even have the plastic gutter, no wires up there at all.

6. ascuro

ascuro Registered Member

I have two wires that come across the top of the firewall just like that on my 70 k5 - only they're blue and pink. The blue goes to the starter, the pink to the electric choke on the carb. Not sure if that's helpful at all to you...

7. 68MUDSTUD

yeah, mine has those two and these two..... you dont have these two wires? 1 black, 1 green?

8. ascuro

ascuro Registered Member

Nope, sorry, hehe. Can't even think of what they might be for...maybe someone wired up an underhood light? :confused:

That really does look like the proper stock connector-type for the era though...

9. 68MUDSTUD

yeah, i got a new wire harness from lmc, and it has the same thing... no instructions though...:doah:

10. 3 on the tree

Have you checked the green wire for power with the key on? Your rig has been converted to HEI, correct? Maybe its the old hot feed to the coil.
    I have a suspicion that what you have is the old ignition wiring-the short black wire could be the old full voltage wire for starting.
    With the key in start position, check for continuity between the green and black wire. First check both wires for voltage, seperately. Good luck, wiring is part luck and part voodoo.:eek1:

11. 3 on the tree

One other possibility. I forgot your 68 is a little different from my 70. Your rig has the windshield washer pump in the engine compartment. Is it hooked up, or gone? With key on, have someone push/turn the wiper knob to activate the washer. See if either of the wires has voltage then.

12. 68MUDSTUD

im workin on the 71 bud! :D :D :D

13. 3 on the tree

Sometimes I scare myself!!!!:doah: :doah: :doah:

14. 68MUDSTUD

haha its all good. ;)