Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Wiring question.!.!.!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dallassnowman, Aug 18, 2005.

1. dallassnowman

dallassnowman 1/2 ton status

I did a search but no luck!!
    I'm replacing my top 2 headlights with the H4 conversion kit and need to replace my plugs because they are corroded. No im having trouble with them.
    Which wires does power to the low beam consist of?? I have 1 green, 1 brown, 1 black.
    Which wires does power to the high beam consist of? I have 1 green, 1 brown, 1 black.

I"m talking about the top light.

2. Kiwi John

Kiwi John 1/2 ton status

Get your little circuit probe thingy and connect the alligator clip to a good chassis earth (ground for you).
    turn on the ignition and light switch to low beam.
    Touch the probe to each wire in turn. Only one will light the probe bulb. That's your low beam wire.
    Switch on the High beam, touch the three wires , a different one will light up your probe. That's your Hi beam wire.
    The one that doesn't light up is your Earth/ground (Probably black)
    Prove that with a multimeter on 'continuity' setting It'll beep when one probe is grounded and other probe touches ground wire. ( need for ignition to be off for this ).
    :wink1:

Last edited: Aug 18, 2005
  3. dallassnowman

Well heres the problem ..I did that and I am getting 2 hot wires with either low or high beams on. I dont know which is high because the indicater in dash for high beam doesnt work!! Thats why I was hoping someone knew which is supposed to be what. In the chilton wiring diagream it says tan is low, but with high on does it only need one hot wire or 2 ??

4. Kiwi John

Kiwi John 1/2 ton status

Well, I would yours to be the same as mine, even though I have the lights corrected for British driving. All that got changed were the lenses to throw the low beam to the left. They are the same bulbs, just refracting the other way. I can't look at my wires till the weekend but I'll get back to you on Monday unless anyone else can help further in the meantime.

5. Big Ox

Big Ox Registered Member

Your brown wire should be the low beam. The green one should be your high beam.

6. dallassnowman

So only brown for low??
    And only green for high??