Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

wiring question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by MTChevy, Sep 11, 2005.

1. MTChevy

MTChevy 3/4 ton status Premium Member

To test my test light, i hooked it up to the dash and stuck it in the cigarette lighter. Well, it sparked and now some weird stuff is happening. When i push in the cigarette lighter the interior lights come on but are really faint and the clock gauge also stops working. When i open the door only the interior light under the dash comes on(bright, normal) but the one on the roof dont. Anyone have any idea what I coulda done?

2. crawlink5

crawlink5 1/2 ton status

The center at the end of the lighter hole is positive, the outside is negative. You must have touched the two.

Sounds like a fusable link blew, but I don't know where on your truck.

There is a relay on GMs that control the dash, door and dome lights which was on my 91 Firebird. It was hell to find the problem and hell to find the part. I don't know how it would be tied in to the cigarette lighter, though.

This is a stupid question, but did you check the fuses?

3. koldsimer

koldsimer 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

check to see if you have melted any of the wires coming off the lighter. I burned one wire in a group of about twenty that gave me similar problems before almost burning my truck to the ground. Had to rewire the entire thing. Check out hot rod wires for an awesome deal on complete gm wiring systems. That's where I got mine. Incredible customer service. My dumbass must have called him 30 times and he never got upset.

4. MTChevy

I checked fuses but didnt really check for burnt wires, now would be a good time though since my dash is completly apart :doah:

5. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Just pull the ashtray and unplug the wire to the back of the cigaretter lighter and see if that works that will tell you if the lighter plug itself is the problem.

Ira

6. MTChevy

ok i will do that. I also just checked everything over again, all wires look ok as far as i can trace em. and i plugged my radio in and that doesnt work either. I did splice into the cigarette lighter wire for that too. ok im going to go unplug that wire

7. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

does the horn work? if not i would say that the horn fuse is blown. my cell charger shorted the cig lighter circuit, and blew the horn fuse.

ryan

8. MTChevy

unplugging the orange wire out the back of the lighter didnt do anything. Now im going to check the horn fuse. This is really bugging me! Ill do anything right now! Thanks for the replies guys, i really appreciate the help. I dont remember if i checked the horn fuse

9. MTChevy

we have a winner! ryan, the horn fuse is shot... now to find another fuse... hope this is the issue.

10. MTChevy

cool, i picked up some fuses. (these ones are kinda neat, they light up when they blow). And now everything works like it should. I must have passed that fuse when i first checked. Thanks ryan for that last and final idea! Thanks everyone who replied to the thread. Gotta love CK5 and the answer came extremly fast!

Cole

11. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

glad i could help

ryan