Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

wiring question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Drey, Dec 28, 2006.

1. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

Im hookin up the XM radio i got for my blazer, Can I just splice into the 12 volt source and ground for my CD player? Then I can have it set up to only one when the Key is on ya know.

It came with another cigerette type connecter to plug the 12 volt to 5 volt adapter into, so im not going to have an issue there.

I could use one of my 3 other cig type deals but im trying to keep it lookin clean. Thanks guys

2. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

ttt

3. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

You should be able to.
    Couple of things to watch out for though.

1) Unscrew the top of the XM radio's power cord cig lighter and see what size fuse is in there, and make sure the circuit you tap into doesn't exceed those, or buy yourself an inline fuse of the same amperage to put on your hard line.

2) make sure there is no special power requirements. Some devices (like my GPS) have a little PCB board inside the cig lighter which converts the power to whatever. So, in order to tell if this is your case, again, take apart the cig lighter that came with the XM radio and ensure it's just a fuse and nothing else. You can also check by cutting that line and hooking a meter up to the bare ends coming out of the cig lighter and ensure it's just plain 'ole 12v.

4. bear76

bear76 1/2 ton status

I was told that the cig lighter droped the voltage down slightly somehow and the plug for these toys works with that voltage not 12v. Could you buy another cig lighter and mount it behind the dash or in the dash?

5. 73k5blazer

Some do, some don't, my Sirius plug&play radio does not, my GPS does. If you take apart the cig lighter and/or measure with a meter what's going into the reciever plug, you should be able to tell.

6. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Hey, what kind of sirius plug and play do you have? I got one for Christmas and wanna hard wire it but it's upstairs and I'm lazy. :D

7. garlicbreath

garlicbreath 1/2 ton status

they sell a cigarete plug with a pigtail at radio shack that works great for this. I used one with my XM radio so I could hide all the wires behind the dash.

8. 73k5blazer

Xact Xtr7ck

9. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

yeah my Express XM kit came with a cig plug with a pigtail on the end, thats what im going to splice into with.

the cig deal is an adapter to go from 12 to 5 volts, so i cant simply bypass it.

I plan on burying it all inside the dash for a clean look