Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Wiring Routing Help....

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by desertfox, Feb 8, 2005.

1. desertfox

desertfox Newbie

I have an 84 k5 with a roof rack with lights mounted on the rear that have never even been connected. After two years of looking at useless lights, i tested them and found out they work (I bought the rack used with the lights attached). So next was figuring out the best way to get power to them. I was going to run wire though the same route as the dome light in the back left, but I cannot get the wire through there. Would this be the best place to send the wire, if so, whats the best way to get the wire through there (it likes to bunch up by the corner.)

PS If any of you are from AZ and remember haulgas (brian), he is my dad. Just to let you know.

2. jekquistk5

jekquistk5 Weld nekid Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Build a box put a few relays in it, route it to a switch pannel for future use. Do it right the first time! so you dont have to rewire again.

3. desertfox

desertfox Newbie

That was my intention, just having problems routing the wire from the front of the truck to the back.

4. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

SE IF YOU CAN SNAKE THE WIRE WITH A PIECE OF COAT HANGER OR SOMTHING, I WOULD DRILL THE HOLE TO GO TO THE ROOF RIGHT THROUGH THE DOME LIGHT, THAT WOULD MAKE IT SUPER CLEAN, JUST MAKE SHURE YOU SEAL IT GOOD,

oh crap sorry about the caps, i was dooing a report at work:o

5. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I drilled a hole through the roof. Ran the Pos. wire to the lights and they are grounded top the rack (I hooked the Neg wire to the mounting bolt).

6. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

if it is at the back just tuck the wire under the plastic trim where the walls meet the roof, bring it out the back and i would drill a hole under the mount for the lightbar/rack, so you can seal it.

or use a gromit, you drill a larger hole the gromit goes in the hole covering the eges and the wire will be tight to it some sealint and your laughin

7. bigbadchev84

bigbadchev84 1/2 ton status

Just Get 2 Wires, And Cut The Existing Dome Light Wire, Hook On The 2 New Ones And Pull Them Trough The Dome Light Hole, Replace The Wire You Cut With One Of The Wires And You Have Your New One Snaked Through

8. desertfox

desertfox Newbie

I actually thought about that, and I think thats what I am going to do, I was just afraid of the wires coming loose and losing all progess!!

Thanks Guys!