Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

wiring/starter problems - newbie question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Jim Johnson, Mar 9, 2004.

1. Jim Johnson

Jim Johnson Registered Member

I went to start up my cab truck over the weekend and the starter just made a ratcheting/clicking sound - not grinding. I put a battery charger on and it did the same thing only faster. I went ahead and pulled starter and put on a new one - same thing. I looked at my + wire and it is not in that good of shape.

I have my battery mounted in teh rear - so I went ahead and ripped out all my + and - wiring and went down and bought me some 1 guage welding cable. I have yet to install it all. QUESTION - is it probably the bad wiring, or is it possible to that I got a bad starte from the parts store?

OH Yea - I only had one ground wire ( battery to frame) I will be putting one two grounds ( battery/frame) ( motor/frame) /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

Could be a bum battery.....

3. 79Stomper

79Stomper 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Sounds like the wiring to me. I went through the same thing when I put the new motor in. I replaced all the wiring/fusible links and it fired right up. But then it caught on fire and burnt up new starter. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif Wasn't the wiring that caught on fire, was cheap plug wires touching headers during cam break in. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif