Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Wiring suggestions - Help, please!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Emmettology 101, Jun 1, 2000.

1. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Well my brake lights quit working the other day. I have gone through and found a bad fuse. SO I replace the fuse and the brake lights work. So then I try the hazards, and the fuse blows.
    So everytime I hit the hazards the fuse blows, but the fuse is fine when I use the brakelights.

I am also getting a very similar problem with my driver side turn signal. Everytime I use the right(passenger side) signal, that fuse is fine. But when I click over to the driverside signal, the turnsignal fuse blows.

I have tried several thing. At first the turn signal fuse wouldn't blow, the flasher module would just make a funky ticking sound when trying to use the driver side signal. I changed the flasher mod and found a bare wire in the rear, now it is blowing the fuse, rather than just trying to activate the flasher and the flasher not responding right.

I assume that these problems are somehow related, being that the hazards use the same wiring as the turnsignals.
    Anyone have a similar problem or have any suggestions?

Thanks

Mike
    82 GMC Jimmy "Emmett" "Built for function, not for beauty!"
    IN TOO DEEP Off-Road Club

2. Goose

Goose 1/2 ton status

Sounds like you have a short circuit somewhere between your steering column and fuse box. Start out by finding a wiring diagram and figuring out what colors go to your brakes and turn signals. Then start pulling stuff apart under you dash and steering column until you find a shorted out wire. On second thought, you may want to start at the rear of the K5 and work your way forward. I just replaced the wiring under my dash because a short circuit and it never blew a fuse. Of course, my wiring is a lot more simple.

Mud is just thick water, or is it that water is just thin mud?

3. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

If you need a copy of the wiring diagram I can scan it in for you...

<font color=green>[​IMG]Eagle86K5[​IMG]<font color=red>
    Masonry...It's a Good Thing
    2B1ASK1

4. Emmettology 101

I think I figured it out. When I put my Custom front bumper on I had to move the turn signal up, behind the grille. I used Semi trailer light and they had to be grounded at the mounting points. I pulled the driver side one off and found that when I mounted it last time, I had pinched a wire and it was grounding out.
    I also found a bare wire in the rear by the frame rail, so I fixed that also.
    Now I will just have to wait and see if I have found them all.

Thanks to everyone!

Mike

5. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

Glad to hear you found it. If you ever need a diagram of the elec system just hollar...

<font color=green>[​IMG]Eagle86K5[​IMG]<font color=red>
    Masonry...It's a Good Thing
    2B1ASK1

6. Emmettology 101

You know what, if it is not too much trouble, the diagram may come in handy down the road.

If it is not too much trouble I would appreciate if you e-mailed it to me.

michael.longley@surf724.com

Thanks!!!!

Mike