Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

wiring the horn button....

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jekbrown, Jan 25, 2003.

1. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I have a grant steering wheel (el cheapo type) and cant figure out how to wire the horn right. The way it is now... the horn is ALWAYS on, unless I pull the fuse or disconnect the wiring. the instructions that came with the things work on about 500000 different steering wheels so they arent all that specific. any ideas? /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

j

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

couldn't tell ya, my horn hasn't worked in years /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

3. or2play

or2play 1/2 ton status

The wire you use to replace the plunger connects to the center terminal on the horn button. The other terminal off to the side touchs the retaining ring. Thats how you get your ground. If your horn in always on your the wire is grounding out on something. If that doesn't make sense I can get some pictures of mine.

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

There should be an insulator that installs between the horn button and the rest of the assembly. When the button touches ground, it should activate the horn.

Also, if you unplug just the horns to keep it quiet, but leave the circuit active, the coil in the horn relay will burn itself out. It wasn't designed for a 100% duty cycle. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

5. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Can you get some pics for me? I replace my steering wheel on my 75 burb with a steering wheel from a 89-91 truck and the horn mechanism is different so i need to figure something out /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

6. or2play

or2play 1/2 ton status

Ya, I'll try to get some pictures before work on Monday. I have a grant wheel on mine. The horn is re-wired for it. Don't know if it will help but will get some for ya anyways.

7. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

that would rock, I'd appreciate it. Pics my not solve the problem entirely, but they would surely make the trouble shooting process shorter. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

thanks in advance!

j