Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Wiring up my truck to my travel trailer?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 72Blazerod, Aug 6, 2001.

1. 72Blazerod

72Blazerod 1/2 ton status

Hi Guys,

I am wiring up my truck and travel trailer and I would like to wire up a battery inside my trailer to run 12v stuff. What I need to know is what gauge wire do I need to run from my alternator to the trailer battery? And to what on my truck do I connect the wire to send the juice back to the battery in the trailer (is it hooked to the alternator)? Thanks again!!!

Rod

In Canada we use K5s instead of dog sleds now!

2. MKeen

MKeen Registered Member

So basically you want to set up a dual battery system, with the second battery in your trailer? If that is so there are several posts on this board that explains dual battery setups. however, I think it would be way too much trouble to do put the second battery in the trailer.

3. Kajun_K5

Kajun_K5 Registered Member

For wiring the second battery I would reccommend using the same gauge wire that is hooked to your current battery. You should be able to find it written on the cables. You can run a split off of your hot wire to your second battery and have a much short ground attached on the trailer itself. I would recommend looking into the type of alternator you have to make sure it can handle the load of two batteries. There are alternators specificly built to carry that kind of load and if you overload the one you have you could either burn it up or never get a full charge on either battery.

Why the hell not?
    http://www.geocities.com/daniel_ray_deville/My_Blazer/my_blazer.htm

4. 72Blazerod

72Blazerod 1/2 ton status

My dad used to have a battery in our old tent trailer that would get charged when we drove around. As I remember, it was wired through the trailer hook up (for the lights etc.). I don't think he had any special alternator (in a 1972 Ford LTD Country Squire Wagon) because when the alternator died he just got a regular one to replace it. When we would stop, the battery in the trailer would be charged and ran our lights and fan. Is there a wiring application that can charge the trailer battery while I am pulling the trailer?

Thanks again,

Rod

In Canada we use K5s instead of dog sleds now!