Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

wiring upgrade

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by chevyguybc, Dec 23, 2006.

1. chevyguybc

chevyguybc 1/2 ton status

i currently have a 77 jimmy,

i picked up some 86 power window/lock doors with wiring to theharness.

i am going to get a 86+ wiring harness

im wondering how hard this is.. everything thats connected to the harness wil be 87

will the wiper motor bolt up?

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

It's quite a pain, the interior essentially needs stripped/gutted to get access to the underdash stuff and route it correctly.

Wiper motor IIRC will not bolt up, the plugs changed. I'd go with a newer wiper motor as opposed to changing the wiring. But also IIRC, the two styles of wiper wiring CAN be swapped by changing the wires from the firewall connector, which are easily de-pinned from the connector.

3. chevyguybc

sounds fairly easy to me, all my wiring is already out

truck is getting ready for paint, 454, and finishing for feb 15th..

4. dyeager535

If the interior is gutted, its relatively simple. Only part I hated was the column wiring bundle, never could get it to sit tight and out of the way like it was stock. :)

5. chevyguybc

it is gutted, just wondering what modifications i need todo...

6. dyeager535

I don't think there is much. I believe the fuse panels bolt up the same, but you will likely have some different connections, like you mentioned wipers, and the column.

7. chevyguybc

i picked up the harness, but it has some burn wires in the main harness close to the fuse block,

should i replace the wires and splice off what i dont need? or go look for another harness? im pretty pissed

at least i got the power window/lock harness

8. dyeager535

You can de-pin the firewall connectors, so perhaps you can cobble together stuff without splicing? Of course depending if you are talking in-cab harness or on the engine bay side. I'd be pissed if it was internal though, that's not a good harness at all. :(

Those bigger wires aren't fun/clean to splice.

9. chevyguybc

yeha its internal, and the main harness is fried!

10. dyeager535

I'd be quite upset.

I've TRIED to disassemble a fuse panel before, but that wiring between the halves is a nightmare. :(

I'm sure if you spend enough time you could de-pin the bad sections and add good ones.

11. CB77GMC

CB77GMC 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Just swaped in a 87 fuse box into my 77 all soldered and heat shrink connections. Here's few pics only final labeling needs to be done. About 8hr job.

77 fuse box
    [​IMG]

87 box wired in
    [​IMG]

12. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

You think that would be bad:
    My brother had a nice 73 he was building from the frame up and got some power locks and power windows installed in his doors and wanted to add them to the harness and at the same time he liked the spade fuse versus the glass early ones so he got a wiring harness with fuse block from an 86 pulled both harnesses out, laid them side by side and started depinning, studying and he reconfigured the block to his liking to match his truck and the extra stuff he had added like stereo, and amp, and alarm, ...
    It took him 3 days, not complete because he needed some time to make decisions, the result looked like factory and he tucked the wires out of the way and zip tied them to make the curves stay.
    We both sat down with an electrician to learn a few tricks on making it look tidy.
    He also replaced wires that were bad with new ones but kept the same color coding as GM.
    :D

13. ccj8008

ccj8008 1/2 ton status

Dont Change

Seems to me the original harness should work just fine. I would guess you just need to wire the new accessories to a hot wire source. At most, I'd run a heavy gauge wire off a primary drop from the battery or ignition. Add a 3-4 accessory fuse block and tie into that.