Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Wiring woes....(i feel stupid now)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BigOrange90Jimmy, Dec 18, 2002.

1. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

On my 87 Fire Recovery K5, I'm having a little wiring trouble. I replaced the engine harness and now I'm ready to see what this sum'bitch'll do. I've got power to the ignition switch, with occasional power to the starter when I turn the switch. I just don't seem to be getting 12 full volts down there. I've got a brand new battery in it, and I'm getting nothing. All it will randomly do is click the solenoid. Since I've got power inside, can I bypass the starter switch and use an auxilary switch to complete the circuit on the starter?

2. bigbluek20

bigbluek20 1/2 ton status

Re: Wiring woes....

Could it be an "on the edge" adjustment with the tranny linkage / park/neutral switch (or clutch switch for a manual tranny)?

Marginal contact could reduce your voltage down there. Have you checked the voltage at the switch? Could also be the switch itself (good possibility there). If you have bad voltage at the switch, you might check the nuts at the fusible link.

Good Luck!

3. BigOrange90Jimmy

i don't have the detent cable hooked up. could that cause that?

4. bigbluek20

bigbluek20 1/2 ton status

The switch sits on top of the steering column near the firewall (inside the cab). It is also the switch for the backup lights. Starter power comes out of the key switch and goes to the park/neutral switch (it breaks power to the starter unless you are in park/neutral). It is mounted to the column, not connected through the selector cable.

Try putting some pressure on the selector more toward park and see if that helps... alternatively, try starting in neutral. Hooking up the cable might give you an idea of where the column is adjusted to (the adjusting bolt is by the tranny).

5. BigOrange90Jimmy

the battery cable was corroded, not at the post, but where the wires join at the connector at the battery. i feel dumb. at least it will turn over now. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif