Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Wiring Woes

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ledfoot, Jan 27, 2001.

1. ledfoot

ledfoot Registered Member

Hi all! Well I got my 700R4 rebuilt and while it was in the shop I went ahead and rebuilt the engine. I should say that since I have owned this Blazer it has not run. Anyway, I started looking at all of the things the previos owner did and did wrong to this poor truck. In an effort to get it back into the best shape I pulled out all of the cheap stereo gear (including 3 filters to stop the noise) and not noticing at the time a Potter and Brumfield VF4-85F11 switch. I guess the switch was wired in place of the neutral lockout. Of course the truck won't turn over. So I got my cheapo book out and put the wires back onto the neutral saftey switch - turn the key and blow the main fusealbe link. I didn't get much better from there. Needless to say it's still not running and I have no idea if the switch is bad, or why the previous owner would wire another switch into the circuit. I need help determining what wires should go to the neutral saftey switch and ignition. Or if someone has an idea as to what the problems is. The truck is an 82 and the book I have shows the 83 to have the same wiring more or less (who knows if it is correct?)

2. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

I had the same problems with mine, and it got to the point that I kept a stockpile of fusible links on hand. After exhausting tons of money replacing everything else, I replaced the neutral switch and the problem has disappeared. Later I picked up a Painless Wiring harness kit and cured the rest of the problems that the former owner left me with.

3. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

OK, here is ythe best I can determine.....the neutral switch has two functions - neutral saftey and back-up lights.
    The back-up light wires should be "light green" and "dark blue or dark green" these should be together in one connector and plug into the place that is toward the center of the switch. The safety portion wires should be "purple" and "purple". These will be larger wires. The purple passes current from the ignition switch, thru the safety switch and onto the starter solenoid. They will plug into the left or driver's side of the switch, above the b/u connector. Let me know if ya need more help.

Michael[​IMG]
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.jmartin.net/parker/goose.htm>http://www.jmartin.net/parker/goose.htm</A>

4. ledfoot

ledfoot Registered Member

Thanks guys. Michael: I have a large purple wire that runs from my starter that has been cut. If I understand you correctly, that one should go to one leg of the saftey switch. I also have a large yellow wire that has been cut. I believe that one comes from the ignition switch. Should the yellow go to the saftey switch? Your post said two purple wires, but I can't seem to find another. Which post on the saftey switch does the wires go to? The orignal plug has ben cut off.

5. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

If you have a yellow wire, you may have had a manual tranny at some point. They used yellow and purple to go to the "clutch in" switch...according to my print. That may have changed on later models, but it doesn't matter. You should be able to hook the yellow (+12 volts) to one side of the switch and the purple (from the starter solenoid) to the other side of the switch. The neutral switch ( when mounted on the column looks like an inverted horseshoe. Looking up from the floor of the drivers side there should be 2 terminals that are closer to the left. Either wire can go to either terminal. It's just a switch that is closed when you are in Park or Neutral. Now, do us a favor and fill out that "profile". That way I could email you some little drawings of all this...since my buddy Eagle showed me how.
    Good luck! If this doesn't work email me direct and I'll be glad to keep tryin'.

Michael[​IMG]
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.jmartin.net/parker/goose.htm>http://www.jmartin.net/parker/goose.htm</A>