Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Wiring

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Skroo, Jul 18, 2002.

1. Skroo

Skroo 1/2 ton status

Who has rewired their trucks. I've got a '83 that has a few bad wires under the hood. Instead of fixing the bad wires i'd rather rewire the truck and be sure that I fixed all of the wires are fixed. That way I'll have to do it once. I'd also like to get rid of the computer. What else will I need to do this?

2. 95 Silverado

95 Silverado 1/2 ton status

the computer on these trucks controls an electronic carburetor, but it isn't required to run the engine like the later fuel injected engines. you should get an early style non electronic carburetor or an aftermarket carb, the engine should already have a vacuum advance type distributor, remove the wiring that used to go to the carb and computer along with the computer. install the new carb and your set to go.

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

About the only thing you can do to rewire underhood, is to find a truck that hasn't been cut up, with the same headlight setup you have, and swap the underhood harness(es) with yours. They unbolt from the firewall (either one 10MM or 1/2" bolt) Then the plug seperates into 3 pieces IIRC.

The only thing that should be "computer controlled" on yours is ESC, Electronic Spark Control, and that is there to prevent your motor from detonating itself to death. (retards timing when knock is detected) Theres really nothing wrong with the system, its just that later on, it was integrated into the ECM, the ESC system on yours is basically a standalone system. A fair amount of people remove it, but I'm not certain that its all because there are problems with it, moreso they don't understand it and don't bother checking to see if its actually at fualt or not.