Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Wiring...

Discussion in 'Communication (CB | GPS | HAM)' started by afroman006, Oct 2, 2002.

1. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

My friend and I recently installed a CB/PA in my Burban but I'm havin trouble with the PA. My friend is really good at installing stereos in ricers so I figured he'd be the best one to help me out (a couple of my other friends had their CB/PA systems installed for $200+...screw that).

Anyway when we went to Radio Shack to get the stuff we needed (speaker, wires, 1/8" plug), I asked for the 25 watt speaker, 1/8" plug, and some wire. I didn't look at any of the stuff until I had gotten home, they had given me a 1/4" plug, a 30 watt speaker and solid copper wire. Well since I'm not a big fan of receipts (didn't keep it) I decided to live with what I had.

We installed everything and ran the wires from the engine compartment (power and speaker) through the dirvers side door and butchered an old set of external speakers for their 1/8" plug. The CB works great but the PA sounded horrible, so I asked my dad what might be wrong with it and after looking at it he said it was more than likely the solid wire and I didnt like the tiny 64 gauge wire of the butchered plug so I decided to replace that too. We replaced the solid wire of the audio part with stereo wire and then soldered on a plug directly to the wire. After that was all done it sounded good when the door off the Burban was open but when it closes I dont think its very clear (and I know it isnt very loud).

Now my questions, could having a bigger speaker (30 watt as opposed to 25 watt) make it not as loud? My CB unit is prety small phyisically but I dont know how much power it puts out. Could it also be that the wires being pinched in the door makes it fuzzier and less loud? And lastly, if I reroute all the wires should I replace the solid copper wire with some twisted copper for the power wires? Where should I mount the power cables to? Right now I have the negative on the negative terminal of my auxilary battery and the possitive mounted on the solenoid. Should I move the mounting locations for better performance? Sorry for being long winded but I want to get this permanently resolved. Thx

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

/forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif Personally, I'd find a place to run the wires through the firewall. I would connect the posi wire directly the posi batt post with a inline fuce. Neg to the closest ground to the radio. Keep that neg wire as short as posible. I would use a heavy duty speaker wire for the PA speaker. Never run wires through door/finder /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif, always go through firewall.

3. rebelk5frk

rebelk5frk 1/2 ton status

First have someone stand outside the vehicle and see if the sound actually changes with the door open or closed.... might just be your perception.

Also most radios only put out a couple of watts or audio power at best so you shouldn't use a really huge speaker. An actual PA speaker would be ideal. If you are using a regular speaker pay attention to the sensitivity rating. The higher the number the louder it'll be. You aren't looking for HI-FI sound...it's just a PA.

As for the wiring ditch the solid wire and find a better way to route it. As for the radio power use heavy guage wire to the battery (don't forget a fuse near the batt) and gound it near the radio. (shouldn't be hard with our metal dashes etc)

4. Marshall

Marshall 1/2 ton status

I just went to ebay picked a PA up for $15.Everything came ready to install.
    Goodluck,Marshall