Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Wish me luck...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Avery4jc, May 3, 2006.

1. Avery4jc

Avery4jc 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Okay guys I'm getting ready to head out in the morning (5:15!) for Huntsville, Alabama for my second year of SLI. SLI is Student Launch Inititiative which basically is a program put on by NASA (Marshall Space Flight Center to be exact) that gives 15 high school's the opportunity to design, build and fly a high powered rocket with the final launch in Huntsville. Our rocket is 102" long and about 12lbs w/ the engine loaded and all batts. installed and will reach a predicted altitude of just shy of one mile (yeah, 5,280').
    I won't bore you guys but I just figured you might like to know, plus I wanted to see who on here was from around there. I'll post up a ton of info. and pictures when I get back on Sunday (after our car show!)
    For now we have a site you can look at, it hasn't been updated in a while but it gives some starting informaiton....
    http://computech.fresno.k12.ca.us/clubs/edisonsli/sliindex.html

-Avery

2. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

good luck!

3. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

That is awesome. There are several aviation buffs on here so don't worry about boring anyone. I'll be looking forward to your pics.

Good Luck

4. Avery4jc

We made it here! I'll let you guys know how it goes.

-Avery

5. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

What the hell does this guy think He is some sort of Rocket Scientist.
    :D :D

6. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

:haha: :haha: :haha:

7. thezentree

thezentree 3/4 ton status

Sweet! I used to be really into model rockets and space flight and whatnot (yea, I went to Space Camp), so that's definately something that interests me.

8. jekquistk5

jekquistk5 Weld nekid Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Oh man I can make a sweet beer can rocket!! October sky made me wanna bust out all my old rockets

9. Avery4jc

lol, I'll give you guys a link to the movie when we get back. We took a video camera with us this year so hopefully we'll be able to catch the launch on camera.

-Avery

10. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

Psh... one mile. I drove up to 14,110 :D

Good on ya dude. Have fun, it'll be a blast.

hah

11. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Thank god, I thought I was the only one.

12. Avery4jc

Well guys I just got back to the hotel room after a long day. We had a rocket fair this morning where we shared our rockets with everyone followed by a cool guest speaker; he was an F18 Hornet pilot turned NASA shuttle pilot.
    Next we wen't on a tour of a few places followed by a special opportunity, we happened to be here at the same time a 1/5 scale test launch of a solid booster engine. Needless to say it was huge and loud, we were about 1/4 mile away and we still needed ear plugs to be safe.
    We wrapped things up by heading on a tour of Marshall Space Flight Center's (NASA's Propulsion location) Rapid Development Center. The whole building does nothing but find ways to rapidly make real life versions of what they design on the computer. For example they will make items out of plastic by basically using a process I thought was close to soldering, they heat up the plastic rod and just like if you get sand and water in a cup and pour it out slowly so it builds it from the ground up. Their goal is to be able to take this cnc looking machine and a bucket of raw plastic and be able to build any part they need to mock parts up.
    They also had an entire room dedicated to woven carbon fiber, the make it on site and are working with weaving different parts, from retainers for engines to their trash can (what NASA does when they get bored, hey; lets make a woven carbon fiber trash can!)
    I took about 45 minutes of footage just from today so I'll get a movie together when we get back, all of this is in there.

Anyways I'll get you guys another update when I get home tomorrow, I'm tired and I have a full day tomorrow, 2 days until launch!

-Avery

13. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

Sounds kinky.

14. k2mslskier

k2mslskier 1/2 ton status

Sounds cool. About ten years ago I drove a flatbed for an over the road trucking company. Picked up an oversize load out of Huntsville one time, I guess this would have been around 1997. Turned out to be 3 pieces of the lifesize mockup of the Hubble Telescope. I ended up taking it to the Johnson Space Center in Houston. When I got there they had me back into this huge building which kindof looked like a hangar. After I was in they closed the door and when I was finished unstrapping it they started to take the pieces off with an overhead crane.

I was talking to this guy who ended up being one of the "higher-ups" and he asked me if anyone had shown me the "tank" yet. I said no, figuring he meant an army tank, heck I've hauled those before. He just grinned and told me to follow him. We walked up this ramp that led to this upper level and that's when I realized what he meant. He was showing me the water tank where they do all the underwater training for the Astronauts. I grew up loving aviation and dreaming about this stuff so you can imagine my reaction. My jaw hit the ground and I was having a very hard time containing my enthusiasm.

He explained that it was 20' above ground and 20' below ground and twice the size of an olympic size pool, this thing was huge. I could see a full size mockup of the shuttle cargo bay in the water and that the mockup I brought was going to be put in there so they could use it to train for an upcoming mission to do some repairs of some sort for the telescope. He then took me into this room that on one wall was just solid tv monitors, saying that they had every square inch of the pool covered by cameras. I remember saying to him that my best friend was going to kill me when he found where I had been.

To this day that is probably one of my coolest memories of being a driver.