Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Witch Diesel in a 71

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by earl87gta, Aug 14, 2004.

1. earl87gta

earl87gta 1/2 ton status

Im thinking abought putting a diesel engine in my 71 blazer witch one would you go with 6.2, 6.5 I tried to do a search to see if some one has done a first gen swap but didnt find any thing. Im planning on this being a DD so I would like for it to have a little get up and go.I have already done the 1ton convertion 14b D60 and it will have 38in tires. Can you do any thing to them besides turbos like a cam that sorta thing for more power.thought abought a deromax but from what I read you have to use the gages from the doner truck and I would like to keep an origanal look to the blazer. I think the only thing I will not be able to use is the origanl tach unless thier is a way to make it work found a lot abought aftermarket tachs but nothing on making the old one work.
    Thanks

2. smprider112

smprider112 1/2 ton status

6.5 TD if u can find one cheap enough...as far as more common the 6.2 should be easier to get /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Im thinking abought putting a diesel engine in my 71 blazer witch one would you go with 6.2, 6.5 I tried to do a search to see if some one has done a first gen swap but didnt find any thing. Im planning on this being a DD so I would like for it to have a little get up and go.I have already done the 1ton convertion 14b D60 and it will have 38in tires. Can you do any thing to them besides turbos like a cam that sorta thing for more power.thought abought a deromax but from what I read you have to use the gages from the doner truck and I would like to keep an origanal look to the blazer. I think the only thing I will not be able to use is the origanl tach unless thier is a way to make it work found a lot abought aftermarket tachs but nothing on making the old one work.
    Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

Either a 6.2 or 6.5 would work, you will need to do some changes just like you would for a big block.
    There are writeups on putting a bigblock in a first gen.
    As for the Tach, there ways to adapt you tach for a diesel but it's not cheap, but if you want to retain the factory look it's feasable.

4. earl87gta

earl87gta 1/2 ton status

What should I look for in a 6.5 I know the 6.2 came in a lot of the millitary blazers so they would be easy to get. I want it to look like a factory instal when Im done with it I have even been thinking abought going to a 35 or 33in tire to make it more streetable and then build a buggy to play with.

5. ZZ4x4

ZZ4x4 1/2 ton status

I had a 6.2 and it was a really doggy motor. Even with 4.56 gears, it did not have decent acceleration for daily driving IMHO. Has decent torque though for offroading. I'd suggest the 6.5 Turbo as it will be more pleasing on the road and you can get a few nice upgrades to boost power.
    I'd consider a 6.2 if it was purely off road though.
    Good luck
    Jeff /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

6. 82diesel

82diesel 1/2 ton status

You must have had a really slow motor. I only have problems accelerating for passing speeds 40-60. Unless I stomp it it takes awhile.

But take offs are quick enough. Fast enough to fly past cars, they really do not like the cloud of black smoke though.

Only have 3.42 gears

7. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

I have the 6.2 as well, on my 3/4 ton ext cab pickup. Even with a few thousand lbs of bricks in the back, it still moved pretty good.

Only time it doesnt move so good is between the 3-4 shifts, cause there's such a wide rpm gap. have to rev three higher before 4, and then to 5th.

8. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

[ QUOTE ]
    You must have had a really slow motor. I only have problems accelerating for passing speeds 40-60. Unless I stomp it it takes awhile.

But take offs are quick enough. Fast enough to fly past cars, they really do not like the cloud of black smoke though.

Only have 3.42 gears

[/ QUOTE ]

My 6.2 isn't any slower than the 350 it replaced, just sounds different and gets twice the fuel mileage...

4.56's and 40's with an SM465.

Rene

9. earl87gta

earl87gta 1/2 ton status

I think I found a 6.2 in a 88 sub with a gale banks on it so it will be a good start Im going to take a look at it monday Ill let you guys know how it goes. I can drive the sub so I will be able to feel what it can do.