Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

with 8-9" of suspension, whats the biggest i can go?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bigoltrux77, Sep 24, 2003.

1. bigoltrux77

bigoltrux77 1/2 ton status

with 8-9\" of suspension, whats the biggest i can go?

Im thinkin about about buying the "BIG 88K5 in KS" rig. My plans for it would be to remove the 3" body lift and get some skinnier wheels (15x10) and some Radials, since itll be a DD. Whats the biggest Radial i can fit under 8-9" of suspenion lift with no trimming at FULL STUFF? What tire do you recommend? Thanks.

2. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

Re: with 8-9\" of suspension, whats the biggest i can go?

Hmmmm.... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif..8-9" of lift w/ no trimming...full stuff....prolly no bigger than 38's. BUT...You'll have a hard time "stuffing" anything with more spring lift than 6" so far up that they rub. After 6" the springs get mighty stiff!

3. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

With NO trimming you're limited to about 35s if the 8" springs actually flex. Anything bigger is just too big to fit up in the fender. More lift does not automatically mean you can run bigger tires, say you lift a truck 8" and it flexes 6" more than stock, then you're still only at the equivilent of a 2" lift when the suspension is loaded up. Dunno if that makes sense or not... With the wheels dead nuts straight the tires *might* not rub (but they probably will), when the wheels are turned you'll likely rip the fenders to shreds when it flexes. I ran a 6" lift with lots of trimming at the rear of the front fenders and they still rubbed pretty good when it was flexed out.

4. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

As for tires( I think shag's got the springs covered) Denman makes a 38" radial, super swamper radial, parlini jones dirt grips, and the old fun countries are radials which I have a set of 38x15.50x15 FC's mounted and balanced on 15x12 Mickey tomphson alcoa classics for sale. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I have a 9"lift(6susp,3body) and I THINK I could clear those tires ok /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

5. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

trim them fenders. its easy, its cheap, it helps clear huge meats, and if you take your time it actually looks good. I had never cut a piece of automotive sheet metal in my life before I cut mine and I dig the way it turned out.

39.5s on 5" of lift

j

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I have 9" and 38s sure as hell didn't clear without trimming the front. 35s MAX no matter how much lift you have.

7. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    I have 9" and 38s sure as hell didn't clear without trimming the front. 35s MAX no matter how much lift you have.

[/ QUOTE ] AH HA! got ya, I have 35's with 9 inches and you have given me crap for running "little tires" /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

8. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

Yes, but if this is going to be a DD, you have to think a few years down the road. Trimming can lead to rust problems if you drive in the winter and even in mud. Since you're separating the walls of the rear quarters crap can get caught up in there.

9. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

sand blast it, POR it, and Line-X it. no rust. ever.

trim on.

j

10. ratzila

ratzila 1/2 ton status

I have 8" lift with 3" body & bushwacker cut-outs on my 90
    suburban. The 39.5 tsl still rub when going off road. I am
    probably gong to 10" or 12" to keep from hitting the fenders.

11. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

This post sounds bad to me... I'm doing 42's with a 4" lift and fender trim... /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

12. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Maybe with 4" of lift and fender REMOVAL. Certainly not with fender "trim".

13. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

I meant fender hacking /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif I think one person on here did 44's and a 4" lift if I'm not mistaken /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

14. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

lets see, i remember in a mag, a burban and a furd with 4" and 42s...what fenders? fenders are for seeesssyyys

15. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Im thinkin about about buying the "BIG 88K5 in KS" rig. My plans for it would be to remove the 3" body lift and get some skinnier wheels (15x10) and some Radials, since itll be a DD. Whats the biggest Radial i can fit under 8-9" of suspenion lift with no trimming at FULL STUFF? What tire do you recommend? Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've seen this truck in person. It's big and bad! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif Matter of fact, I sold Alex the 8" springs and 3/4 ton axles.

I ran those 8" springs on an '86 K20 some time back and had 38" Radial Swampers which fit with no problems. But I didn't do any flexing or crawling. It was mainly a poser and mudder.

When you ask for whats the largest radial tire size to fit to that lift, 38" tires are the largest RADIAL tire on the market now. Except for the Goodyear MTR's which are at 40", the 38"s are more common and readily available, and also cheaper.

I have pics of when Alex ran that '88 Blazer with the 8" springs, 1" zero-rates and 38" Swampers with NO body lift. It still looked good and appeared he didn't have rubbing issues but at closer inspection on the pics, he did cut the very lower part of the corners on the front fenders. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

16. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Aren't the big Michelins radials?

17. BowtieRed

BowtieRed 1/2 ton status Author

i have 10" and clear 39s easy. i think they lok to small and will be movin to 44s or 46s pretty soon here.

18. MudFlap

MudFlap 1/2 ton status

I have about 9" of suspension lift and a 2" body lift, and I have moved my front axle forward 1.5" and still had to cut a good bit off of my fenders to fit 39.5" swampers. But I can ramp over a 1000 on a 20* ramp, so it can still flex good. I wasn't wanting to trim my fenders either, but I decided that it was better to trim the fenders then to have them get mangled up when a tire hits them. Also I thinks that it looks much better with the fenders trimmed. A big tire and a small fender opening looks really wierd.

The problem is not really the amount of lift, the problem is that the tire no longer fits in the fender, so if you are going to wheel it any, and it flexes even the smallest amount, You have three choices, lift it more, run small tires (like 35s), or trim the fenders.

Trey

19. reeser

reeser 1/2 ton status

first of all good luck making the 8" springs flex. second you might be able to fit a 35x12.50 without rubbing. i bought a parts blazer with an 8" lift and 36x12.5's and they would rub sometimes. you need to step up to the plate and trim your fenders. is this a show truck? cut those fenders and put some 42's or 44's on that hawg!!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif