Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

With how much everyone changes their truck...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by hawkeye649, Aug 3, 2006.

1. hawkeye649

hawkeye649 1/2 ton status

Ever think, during one of your daily "what I want to do to my truck when I get the money" - thingys, you started with the wrong rig?

I forget the member's name, but he got it right when he said "I started with the classic chevy build, I removed the radiator cap..." :haha:

My problem is I know that my end goal is very concervative by CK5 standards.... so it's hard for me to hold back in my "design"... :p:

2. yellowK20

yellowK20 Well Lubricated Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I agree K5's are cool but ya end up swapping out dang near every part on them that's why I say start with a K-30 and your almost half way done:laugh:

3. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

yeah, I've replaced pretty much everything on my truck. I want a small block and to keep the weight down as much as I can, so I guess starting with a K5 isn't a bad option. Tranny/tcases/axles gotta go though. ;)

j

4. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

that was tazz's sig line. I'v replaced everything on all of my rigs. i basicly just picked the body style and design I wanted and went from there.

5. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Thats pretty much what you do with most rigs though. You just buy what you like and then when you get done with it you really like it.

6. eclipse

eclipse 1/2 ton status

I sit all day in a loader cab, you gotta imagine all the "what if" ideas I come up with for my trucks... just ask Allan (mountainexplorer) how much I go back and forth with a project before I even touch the rig.

7. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Mine is exactly what I wanted. Or at least it will be when I am "finished". I want to be able to haul 4 guys and gear to remote places to camp. Nothing but a Suburban really fits the bill.

8. bear76

bear76 1/2 ton status

I am trying to make mine more of a practical toy. Leave the stock stance alone but still upgrade it's performance. Also, make it run forever and be able to take long trips to the beach and local trails, just kinda want to go anywhere without any major problems.

9. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

Similar deal for me. Want to be able to haul 4-5 people and their gear anywhere reasonable (i.e. NOT up one of the 'Hammers). Want to be able to tow up to a car hauler trailer when need be. Also am going to use it to chase some of the longer desert races. It's first will be the Vegas to Reno Best in the Desert race this month.

10. Brians89K5

Brians89K5 1/2 ton status

I have exactly what I wanted after I lifted it. Now I just gotta work all the bugs outta her.

~Brian

11. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I still plan on winning the lottery and dropping my DD/camping/only working 4x I own truck off somewhere and just saying " I just want to turn the key when I come back " .

12. jekquistk5

jekquistk5 Weld nekid Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I started just lifting and what not, not I'm trying to sell my k5 so I can buy a beater k5 to truggy.

13. hawkeye649

That's what I'm shooting for, a very capable reliable trail rig that can do a fair amount of everything, is "best" at nothing, and is comfortable and reasonably cheap to drive on the road. IMO I'm almost there. I just keep going back and forth on my axles. I KNOW 3/4 is quite sufficient for me, but I sold of my 3/4 swap stuff when I thought nothing but 1-ton would do. Now I'm wondering if my 1/2 ton will do, but I want to lock up both my axles so.... blah! :o :crazy:

14. PeteH

PeteH 1/2 ton status

do you have any pics of your truck?

15. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I have ben around here for quite a while. I really havent changed my K5 a lot since I joined up. Except for engine mods but that is a given on any vehicle for me.
    Still on half ton running gear locked front and back and running 33s. I have better axles and had better driveshafts built for me.
    I did go with a 4" lift. But that was because my old stock springs were wore out. 4" lift kit was about the same price as replacing my stock HD suspention.
    My K5 is a very capable, reliable offroader. that gets good gas MPG on road,rides great, and will tow anything within reason I hook up to. I dont have ton of money or hundreds of hours of time into it. Just work on her when she needes it. And upgrade what I have to make O'l Spots a little stronger.
    But my on my wishlist lately is replacing my Detroit in the back and lockrite in front with Eaton E lockers front and rear. For the ultimate in slectable traction.

16. hawkeye649

I'm thinking ARB. I'm a control nut, I know a SYE'd 241 would be perfect for me, but I want a ORD doubler so I can select front/rear drive etc....

17. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

Just saw this. I have a couple at home. I'll try to remember to post them tonight.

18. hawkeye649

I'm on 35's though. I've never heard of anyone doing well with 35's & lockers. I'm not a throttle junkie though, that's what my quad/sled/etc. are for :waytogo:

19. MattK

MattK 1/2 ton status

a k30 woulda been nice to start with, but i still really like the short suv aspect of the k5s. pretty manageable around town, haul a few friends, good bit of gear, and you can stay out of the weather<---thats cool

20. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

I'm guessing you're going to that race?

Sub 8-13-06.JPG

Sub 8-14-06.JPG