Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

WMS 203 3:1 Anyone have it?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Corey 78K5, Sep 13, 2005.

1. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

So what are the pro's and con's.

2. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

As a rule it is wisest to put your most reduction down stream as far as possible but I think that a 205 should put up with some serious reduction at the input and live.
    Looking at the size of the gear set in a 203 range box ( even the 3 to 1 WMS gears ) puts any fears of strength behind you - they are stout !
    The case work done by WMS looks very durrable and I have no fears of case strength or flex.
    I felt that the WMS gear set was the strongest , most maintainance free addition to my ORD Doubler set up to gain serious reduction with out worries.
    Tom

3. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Thanks for the input. I was gonna go with My SM465/NP203 and do the whole Doubler thing for real low gears. Recently I got a real good TH400/NP203 that I want to go with now. Seams to Me that with the 3:1 kit and a Doubler I would have the real deep gears Im looking for but with an automatic. Cause to tell Ya the truth after work I really don't want to touch a manual tranny.

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Send a PM to Toby (moneypit). He's got the 3:1 203 and the ORD doubler setup on his truggy and loves it. :cool1:

5. fourwheelerjeff

fourwheelerjeff 1/2 ton status Staff Member Moderator

i don't have it yet, but when i re-do my 86 blazer i plan on using it

6. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

I've got one....

Your other option is waiting for a set of 3:1 gears for the NP205 (call me skeptical but that is NEVER going to happen!!!) By the time you get that gearset to fit, you've built a new case, and your "unobtanium" parts just drove the price of the solution into the stratosphere....

On paper (and Excel!) the 3:1 gearset is a sweet item to have....better combos than a standard Doubler with two sets of 2:1 gears (because you have duplicate combinations that do the same thing)

1:1
    2:1
    4:1

vs.

1:1
    3:1
    6:1

Having more options means you're more likely to have exactly what you need for a given obstacle.

Plus there's the "cool factor" which has indescribable value to me. :D

I may have to chrome the cases while I'm at it..... :thinking:

7. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Their site is under RE-construction . How much does the gearset cost ?

Would this ne a good thing to run before a doubler purchase . I am way off timewise , and monetarily from doing a doubler , and driveshfats etc .

I would be interested in running the 3:1 case itself for a while beforehand , with an auto it may be low enough , kinda like my DD/camping/wheeling truck with the np208 .

8. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

The 3:1 kit costs $1000 plus shipping of a core to them and back to you. You would be better off with a doubler before the 3:1 because it gives you the options of 2:1 and 4:1 instead of just 3:1.

Harley

9. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

They don't send out just the gears ? That sucks . Oh well . Doubler someday , for now just Matts p-time 203 :D

10. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

That and there is some heavy torque hitting the chain with a 3:1. You have to send them a core case and gears to machine for you. Last I heard was they were milling down the stock gear set and welding on a larger set along with putting a little more space in the case by cutting a side out and tapping the case to fit a cover plate. All I know is anything leaving the WMS facility is beefy. For some of their rigs google for "WMS big meats run"

11. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Ok Greg lets come back to planet Earth now :haha:
    :thinking:
    Exactly!