Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

WMS 3:1 gears for the 203

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by K1Orion, Dec 14, 2003.

1. K1Orion

K1Orion 1/2 ton status

Does anybody know if Wagoner Machine's 3:1 gears for the 203 will "bolt in" a 203 in a single case setup? Or is this only available for multi case setups? What machine work is needed? Anybody used these 3:1 gears? I emailed them but was wondering what experience others have of this. /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

2. j20m715

j20m715 1/2 ton status

From talking to them,
    They have to machine the case for gear clearance.
    Yes you can use it seperately.
    I havent gotten it yet, but plan on doing it in the future.
    I still have to put my truck together.

Let us know if you do go with it.

3. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Greg72 has a set from them, like said above, the case needs to be clearanced for them to fit but you don't have to do a doubler to use them.

4. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

What kind of cost is there for the gears and also for the machining?

5. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

When I was talking to them about it a couple months ago I think it was right around $1000 plush shipping the case.

A little pricy but worth it in my book.

Now if I can just find me a 205 for the doubler.

6. dhdescender

dhdescender 1/2 ton status

Qualicum Beach, British Columbia, Canada - Eh.
    I've looked into the 3:1 kit for my rig...

You cna use it in any NP203, meaning it isnt just for "doubler" applications.

After I took a good hard look at what is involved, I'm actually making the 3:1 kits myself. It took alot of time and research to figure out what was needed, but once all is said and done, its fairly easy.

Wagoner are good guys. I just had them do some spline work for me. The cases defaitly do have to be clearanced, as the larger gear would't fit without cutting a hole in the case.

7. K1Orion

K1Orion 1/2 ton status

I don't think I'm gonna persue this anymore. $1000 plus shipping for 3:1 doesn't seem cost effective.

dhdescender, how far along is your 3:1 setup, are you planning on selling them?

8. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

$1000 for a 50% increase in gearing isn't cost effective? Have you priced a pair of axle gear swaps? Rarely do you get a 50% improvement with a diff gear swap, plus this is "on demand" which doesn't hurt street economy AND you don't wind up with a toothpick pinion.

9. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

It seems like a good deal to me, too. Even more so if you have dropped a bunch of coin on driveshafts.

10. K1Orion

K1Orion 1/2 ton status

Well, I'm an idiot /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif, 3:1 for $1K is a pretty good deal.
    I severly underestimated the cost of other t-cases with close to that gearing(Atlas). I was just looking at 3:1 to put in a 203 I have and putting that behind a 700 i had. But I sold the 700 and don't think I'll be using the 203 anytime soon.
    Thanx for the info guys! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. JK5

JK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Did they give you a price on just the gears...
    I'm not affraid of putting my t-case in the MILL... /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

12. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    Did they give you a price on just the gears...
    I'm not affraid of putting my t-case in the MILL... /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

How are your skills at welding cast iron?? /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Once you get the gear clearances you need, there will be a big hole in the side of the case, that will need to be welded up with a new plate.

13. JK5

JK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    How are your skills at welding cast iron??

[/ QUOTE ]

Not bad... /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif
    I'll have to weld my 14bff housing after hogging 2" off-it..
    If the gears are priced to bad...
    I may as well ad a 203 case to the list... /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

14. K1Orion

K1Orion 1/2 ton status

I asked about prices in my email to WMS for just the gears if it was a bolt in. They didn't give me prices at all in their reply, just said the case and shaft require machining.

15. Steve_87K5

Steve_87K5 1/2 ton status

I'm interested in the price for the gears alone also. If anyone gets a quote for just the gears, please post.

dhdescender/Kyle, did you mean that you are machining your own gears from scratch?

16. elacruze

elacruze 1/2 ton status

Kyle, I'm interested in that Allison converter for TH400...what's the story on that? I'm 6.2 diesel.
    I was going to build my TH400 with a 3:1 first gear...that's only .5:1 improvement over stock, and the planetary is ~$1000 so the 3:1 for 203 case sounds like a bargain...I'd hate to think I'd do both but if the money comes during the build-up, well...

Eric

17. dhdescender

dhdescender 1/2 ton status

Qualicum Beach, British Columbia, Canada - Eh.
    I'm Getting Vancouver Gear (www.vangear.com) To cut me a new set of gears. For now, I'm welding the two together.

The gears I'm working on are actually about 3.2:1. I'm working on a larger reduction, but I think the NP203 Box is just too restrictive.

We're not supposed to sell anything over these boards, so if your interested in what I'm doing or want estimates...PM me.

**PS**

The Allison 540 converter has a welded steel stator, splines cut from billet (not cast) and full brazed fins. Essentially it's the sh!t. It will work wonderfully behind a diesel, becase thats exactly what it was meant for.