Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

WMS Dual Case kit - Spy photos

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Mudzer, Apr 30, 2002.

1. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

I received my WMS Dual Transfer Case setup today in the mail and its very impressive. The total length of this setup is 3" long. It comes complete with shaft, adaptor (made to order) and hardware. One reason this setup does not come with the fill plug and gaskets is because you use Silicone for the gaskets (machined surfaces anyway) and to fill the unit, you remove the whole side plate and fill (on my application). This way you can view exactly how much lube you put in the cases.

Check it out

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.community.webshots.com/album/36871906pQKIFc>WMS Dual Case Kit</a>

2. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

Mudzer,

What is the deal w/ a shifter...? Does WMS sell them too.

BTW, I have a Gen I doubler in my Blazer. But I'm assembling another for my Buggy. What are the advantages to WMS? the clocking?

BTW again, .... I ordered a set of those STS's too!

Marv

3. Depdog

Depdog 1/2 ton status Author

Looks good dude, but on my IE6, its on page 3

Depdog

4. Mudzer

Marv,

Glad to see I can enspire you! I would say one major advantage is length of this setup and delivery time. I sent the money order last week and received the part this week.

Nothing against ORD of course, I really like Watson's craftsmanship and his attitude for helping others. I am just trying something different and letting you know about it.

5. ramjet gmc

ramjet gmc CK5 Staff Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

do you have a PH # or web page and what input do you need on the 205

6. Mudzer

Web page is www.wagonermachine.com and their phone number is listed on the contact info in the site. Ask for Casey Groth (pronounced Growth) and tell him Neil told you about it!

I think they can do any input spline number on the NP205, mine is 32 spl.

7. Mudzer

Marv,

They don't currently sell a Shifter. I am sure they could help you make them. I will build my own shifter setup. Since the NP203 is clocked upside down, the lever will now be on the drivers side. I may either have a separate stick on the left side or possibly will cable operate the double low range.

Give me some specs on your current setup. What tranny do you run? I have a TH400 but may go with a TH350 for ease of installation. I have also heard the TH350 is more efficient which makes the motor more responsive. Since I will be running a stock 350, this transmission should survive. Do you know who sells the low first gear set for either TH350 and TH400?

8. marv_springer

By "current setup",... you mean the "Gen I" in the Blazer or the new one in the Buggy? Either way, I'm running a T350 in both of them.

I'm looking to accomplish a couple of things on the Buggy doubler that I don't have on the one in the Blazer.

- clocking the 205 for a "flat" underside
    - shifter that will work in the Buggy

See, the ORD shifter I have on my Blazer would play hell fittin' in the Buggy. So, I'm gonna have to get creative w/ a shifter anyway..... I like your "cable" idea for the 203..! It always seems pretty easy to shift, so that might work. The shifting on the 205 is a little more "moody". I don't think you could hook a cable up to it.

Here's some ?'s for you..
    1) What is the purpose of mounting the 203 upside down? clearance?
    2) What's gonna hang the lowest in your setup? You gonna have floorboard clearance?
    3) If you mount the 203 like you're gonna, does that take up room where exhaust pipe (3") would go around the case on BOTH sides?

Just some things I'm thinking about..... I just might go WMS instead of ORD on this one.

Marv

9. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

ORD can and does do all the same stuff that WMS does, just WMS has A LOT quicker ship time.
    Still trying to make up my mind who to go with.

Ken H.

10. Mudzer

Marv,

I clocked the NP203 upside down to get breakover angle clearance. I plan to plate the bottom of the frame like Watson did. I really did it because a friend did his this way and liked how it worked. My floorboards will be an issue, but not afriad to cut them and build a taller tunnel over the 203 box. I plan to install a 2" body lift to help somewhat, but Ill hack if I have to. Since the NP203 is turned exactly 180 degrees, I should still have roughly the same clearance between the frame. I would think clocking it 90 would give more clearance problems than my setup.

Now, I am having a difficult time nailing down a Range Box for the TH400 and am thinking about going with my old spare TH350 tranny and NP203 box. The good thing about using this setup is I can clock the NP203 without any problems. Just bolt it up 180 and go. With my current TH400 setup (NP205 version), I would have to use the TH400/NP205 adaptor, then drill and tap the bolt pattern into the face of the NP203 (TH400 version) range box. This is not too difficult.

I plan to twin stick the NP205 and build all custom crosmembers. I will take photos during all installation and let you know what I find out. The project starts May 10th.

I am very interested in seeing other manufacturers out there. This hopefully will drive the price down on the kits for everyone. But, as simple as a Dual Case kit looks, designing and building it is quite involved.

11. marv_springer

Agreed.... standing back and looking at something that's already done is way easier than goin' thru the process of makin' it!

I see your dilemma on the tranny.... If your T350 is good, I'd use it...!! of course I've become partial to T350's as I've abused several of them over the years - and I've never even HAD a T400...!

Keep the pics and updates coming.

Marv

12. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

Do you know who sells the low first gear set for either TH350 and TH400?

<hr></blockquote>
    http://www.fbperformance.com/transmissions/turbo.400tbms.htm

This is a more of a race applicaiton, but they have the lower sets... its just a place I found searching on the net. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif Looks like a pretty small jump in ratio for the cost though... /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

-Dan

13. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

14. Mudzer

Marv,

I added a couple of photos of Steve Sharps installation. He did not take photos of his Shifters, but this is the same install as mine will be.

Later,

Neil

15. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

I'm hoping to do a double t-case setup this winter, and I too plan to do a flat belly pan. I've talked with Watson about his setup before, he runs a RC drivers drop 60, partially for trans clearance, but he also mentioned that the distance from the front output centerline on the Ford 205 is ~1" less than on the Chevy/Dodge 205s. How did you guys' drive shaft angles work out? I think I should be able to get away with it, since I have a fairly small lift, and don't plan to go bigger. I don't mind cutting and turning the knuckles on my front, and have a feeling that it will probably be neccesary.

Pete

16. marv_springer

Thanks Neil,

I'll go home and mock that "upside down 203" up and see if I got room for it.

The added pics really helped me to see what you're talkin' about.

Marv

17. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

I ordered mine in the standard rotation. I was going to make a flat belly pan on mine also, but decided against it. I already have an 8+ inch lift and really want to keep my driveshaft angles as nice as I can. I will be running 44 TSLs, so I will have plenty of clearance underneath. Plus, all I do is mud, mud, mud and some trail rides. So, I am not really that ocncerned with a flat underside. I will just have to keep it in mind if I ever come to a situation where it would be a factor.

Ken H.

18. JK5

JK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

How are these guys with technial advice? How much did you spend $$$ on this kit? It seems like much better delivery time than I`m used too !!

19. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

That's the first thought that crossed my mind too.
    ["what about the driveshaft angles?"]

Flat belly is all fine and dandy, until you can't get the dshaft angles right...Just a thought.
    Anyhow, Mudz, I really dig it man. I like how it's 3" shorter than ORDs (6"). Good luck on the install. My Dub goes in on the 10th of May too /forums/images/icons/smile.gif.
    Boss

20. Mudzer

Lets have an install party!

I will let you all know of any snags I run into while installing this. I will be writing a reveiw for 4x4review.com and posting it.

I dont think driveshafts will be a major problem because its only rotated up like 2". Watson got his installed without problems and he has shorter shafts than I will have because of 1 ton running gear. Very good points - I will keep you all posted.