Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

WMS dueces 203 output bearing retainer ?'s

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by MNorby, Mar 7, 2006.

1. MNorby

MNorby 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

How does the bearing retainer go in the back of the 203 between the doubler adaptor? There is an ear on it the seems to hold things up.

2. NorthWestFab

NorthWestFab 1/2 ton status

The stock bearing retainer ear is for anti-rotation. Generally those who make dual case kits that retain the stock basket will have a female index hole for this to fit into, some will tell you to grind it off.

Others, ourselves and ORD included have done away with the stock bearing basket and have integrated it into the adaptor kit. Two ways to skin a cat - or install a range box - whichever is your preference.

3. MNorby

The doubler adaptor has no provisions for that tab so prob just grind it off? Also basically the series of parts is the new output shaft for 203 then the big gear, that thrust washer then the bear/retainer then snap ring, correct?

4. NorthWestFab

NorthWestFab 1/2 ton status

The order of parts you have listed is correct, don't forget the anti rotation pin at the thrust washer.

The reason the anti-rotation tab is there, if for some reason the force to rotation the bearing exceeded that of the bearing 'basket' the basket would start to spin, and destrtoy itself in short time, the short answer is that the tab really should have been built into the dual case kit, but in your situation, looks like grinding it off is in order, that or have a machine shop put a notch in there if material will allow.

5. MNorby

Cool, I'll just grind it, ain't skeered. Thank kindly :)

6. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

I just finished mine a few months ago and I verfied with WMS that the tag needs to be ground off. Be sure not to get shavings in the bearing.

7. MNorby

Got it done this morning and put together. Thanks! Now to put my 205 on and build some shifters :)

8. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

Actually, My WMS Dual Case had a small bead of weld about 1" long that would index that slot after removing the tab. Did yours have this?