Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Wobble in the front end of the 99 Tahoe.. what could it be?

Discussion in '1992-Present Chevy & GMC models' started by rocko, Oct 1, 2002.

1. rocko

rocko 1/2 ton status

We have a wobble from about 38-40mph.. the steering wheel shakes.. kinda like the death wobble of the k5's..
    We've had it aligned numerous times, and it keeps going out of alignment, what could be worn out? does lift and big tires.. bigger than 33's cause this on the ifs trucks?
    Or are the techs at ntb just stupid and forget to tighten everything up?
    We put new wheel's and tires on the truck, the wheels and tires were speed balanced.. etc.. and even rotating front tires to rear and rear to front doesn't fix the problem..
    Has anyone experienced this on their IFS truck?
    Eventually we're going to do a SFA conversion.. but right now we want to square away the truck.. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.. Thanks in advance..
    Charles and Pamela.

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Check over the front suspension thoroughly. Worn ball joints, tie rod ends, idler arm, and pitman arm joints can all add up to make for a very loose front end. /forums/images/icons/frown.gif My S-Jimmy would barely stay in one lane on the freeway by the time it got to around 75K miles. I replaced all those parts up front with parts that can actually be lubricated and it still drives nice and tight, with over 136K miles on the clock. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

3. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

I don't know if this is going to help you- but some 2001-2002 GM Pickups have had a driveshaft replacement bulletin- if it has a 2 piece drive shaft- they are replacing it with a 1 piece. We had this same shimmy/shake at 45-48 mph- had the tires balanced numerous times- etc... finally had the 1 piece put in- and walllaaa gone. Check it out with a dealer- TWIZ--- WHERE ARE YOU??? What's the bulletin?

Brandy

4. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    We put new wheel's and tires on the truck,

[/ QUOTE ]

My money would be on the non-stock rims and tires.

If the rims are those "liquid-metal" style (I.E. The liquid metal look that was in the movie TerminatorII. Do you know the style I'm talking about?) Those rims are difficult to balance correctly. They might look nice, but thay are offten far-from round, or centered, or paralel. On top of that, they will not except a "static-balance" (I might have my wording back-wards, it might be called "dynamicly-balanced").
    They are balanced on a single-plane, useing stick-on-wheel-weights, applied inside the rim in one spot.
    Un-like the stock rims, which are balanced on two-planes, weights are applied to the inside and to the outside of the rim. It does make a difference!

Try to find a shop that has a vibration analizer balancer. This machine will applie a load to the tire, simulating a "road-force". The machine has the ability to find the high-spot or stiff-spot of the tire and match it to the low-spot of the rim. Some-times, it can dial out the problem, but not all-ways.

If you want the vibration to go away completly. Reinstall the stock rims and tires. Other-wize, you may just have to live with it.

Trust-me, if it is a After-Market wheel/tire problem (which it sounds like to me). There is only so much you can do. I have battled this problem meny-meny times, and have spent hours, trying to "dial-in" the combination - only to have it slightly better than before.
    Frustrating, I know, but thats just part the price of you have to pay, if you change a truck from it's stock configuration.

5. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

"What's the bulletin (Twiz)?"

[/ QUOTE ]

I've heard about it, but never had to deal with it myself. When I read the bullitin, it seemed like it applied to a fairly narrow group. So, I filled it to the back-half.

Sometimes you amaze me with all your research.
    Do you want a job?

6. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

Does this happen all the time? Is it worse when you use the brakes? can you feel it in the steering wheel, or the seat?

7. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

Do you want a job?

[/ QUOTE ]

What as your personal secretary?

I follow up with my D/A on a weekly basis- the bulletins/problems etc.. because the engine/tranny are so new to GM. Most of the time, I know more than our original dealer knows. All of the time I know more than the D/A tech's they have. Now you know why I changed dealers!

Twiz- any idea WHY all these new body style P/U's have 1 driving light out? Really buggin me, I've replaced my drivers side low beam 3 times- in 29 days we will have owned it for a full year...seems a lot to me! Plus when we go anywhere, we see 99-'02's with a light out. Pretty crappy for a $45K truck if you ask me! Luckily the light bulb is a 2 minute change.

Brandy

8. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

LOL..I could use all the /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif I can get. It's ALOT to keep up with (as-far as the bullitins go). Usualy, we read through them all in the morning meeting, then I/we brush-up on the ones that might applie to my area.
    There are so meny of 'em (bullitins/up-dates/warranty info, ect..) it's hard to keep track.

any idea WHY all these new body style P/U's have 1 driving light out?

[/ QUOTE ]
    The Day Time Running Light (DRL)? - Haven't noticed a problem.... /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif
    The bulb needs to be replaced with a new-style bulb with a glass-base, insted of the plastic based one that is in there now.
    (3057 or was it a 3157, one of the two, If I remember correctly)

9. rocko

rocko 1/2 ton status

The wobble doesn't do it all the time.. only between the mph I indicated.. and the steering wheel shakes like crazy...
    When we did the body lift.. it came with a steering shaft extension.. wonder if it's that... it got worse after we did the body lift.. we had 33 inch tires on the truck before the body lift, and those tires were all worn out.. balancing was bad.. the original owner had the tires shaved to make them "true" round..
    The rim's we installed are the black rock crawlers from 4wpw.. 15x10. before we had eagle 589's, 15x10 on the truck. But the steel rim's and taller tires makes the truck shimmy like it's never done before.

10. chevelless502

chevelless502 Registered Member

When you figure it out PLEASE let me know. My 99 does the same thing. I have 285/75R16 Wrangler AT/S tires on it on stock cadillac escalade wheels. It has the same problem you mentioned. I know my alignmnt iis ok and usually an alignment wont cause a shake anyway. Let me know what ya find out.
    Andy