Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Wobble when I stop

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by unick, Mar 27, 2005.

1. unick

unick 1/2 ton status

My truck wobbles like hell when I stop sometimes. Anyone know what could be causing this? It doesnt happen all the time just once in a while and its anoying as hell. I think it might be the stabalizer but Havent looked into it at all. Any Ideas>

LMK
    NIck

2. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

Rotors...They are most likely warped. Mine were warped and they would only "wobble" depending on how much brake pressue was applied..

3. unick

unick 1/2 ton status

I doubt its that cause it doesnt happen all the time. Only once in a while. Its a really bad wobble too it shakes the whole damn truck.

Nick

4. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

Sounds like a case of death wobble if it feels like it will wobble you off the road when you stop.....

5. short sub

short sub Registered Member

it does sound like death wobble- jack up the front end and grab each tire and try to see if it has up and down movement. grab it , see if there is any play in the ball joints or kingpins.

6. unick

unick 1/2 ton status

****ty that probably what it is. Im going on a drive from San Diego to South texas tomorrow too. God damn truck must not want to leave cali. Lol im going anyway :)

7. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

I let my tires go too long without a rebalance on my DD a year or 2 ago and it did that. I never got the "wheel hop" going down the road... nothing it felt smooth then. But, when I would stop it felt like I was driving over something .. real lumpy. I had em' rebalanced and it was fine after that. I also noticed that different roads/textures seemed to make more noticable than others.

8. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

yep rebalancing tires can cure alot

9. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

my money is on the wheels being unbalanced. or a combo of that and the stabilizer is bad. thats what was wrong with mine. it was intermittent like yours. mainly when i went over RR tracks or a pothole while on the brakes.

10. Eric M.

Eric M. 1/2 ton status

Kind of a long shot here, but easy to check. I had that problem. Turned out to be a defective tire (the inside plies seperated). I didn't find out until I had a blow out on the freeway ... didn't wobble at stops after I put the spare on!

I got the same wobble a year latter, pulled over, checked the front tires and found one had the tread all deformed (from the insides seperating). Put the spare on right then and went and bought all new tires. These were load range C Dick Cepeks .... no wonder they went out of business!

Eric M.

11. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

That's funny, I had a set of Dick Cepek MC-II about 4 or 5 yrs ago and 2 of those had broken belts and caused me all sorts of problems. I bought them at Vic Hubbard in Fremont but they said they were out of warranty since they had more more than a few months drive time on them. Oddly enough, that Vic Hubbard location is no longer in business either.