Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Wobble wobble!!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 5trucks, Mar 24, 2007.

1. 5trucks

5trucks 1/2 ton status

So i took my sway bar off for good but the blazer is still a "streetable" vehicle. I'm a little worried because the wobble that my brothers heep has when his is disconnected is something stupid and i dont want that for the blaze. Is this something you all have experienced when streeting your no sway bar blazers?

2. RockinChevy

RockinChevy 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I've had no wobble yet since I took mine off around christmas '06.. I'm more scared of my body roll now....

3. 5trucks

5trucks 1/2 ton status

We went on a small night run and on the way home when he would brake a little hard or we hit a dip in the road the heep would start shaking like crazy. Few times he damn near lost control.

4. RockinChevy

You cannot compare a heep to a blazer! Whatever happens with the heep is it's own business! :haha: Kidding... but on the real, a lot of people on this board haven't had death wobble from removing the swaybar. Most of that wobble comes from bad balljoints, bad kingpin springs, loose steering components and so on...

5. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

His jeep probably has a totally different suspensions system in it like a coil spring w/links/control arms. Removing the swaybar will affect that suspension differently then it will affect a leafspring suspension like a K5 has.

I have run without a swaybar for 5 years with no problems. At first you notice a little more body roll & a little more nose dive under hard braking but that is about it. It is even less noticeable if you have lift springs installed. If you have lift springs installed then toss the swaybar and forget about it.

If you have death wobble it won't be caused by the lack of swaybar it will be caused by worn or damage axle or steering components. If your steering system & axle parts are in good shape you shouldn't even need a steering stabilizer.

Harley

6. Bow-Tie-Boy

Bow-Tie-Boy Registered Member

X2. I have been "sway bar-less" for a few years now, both on the stock 10 bolt and now on my D60 with no ill affects. Toss it and don't look back. Like Hoss says, if you get death wobble, it will be as a result of a loose front end part, not the lack of a sway bar.

7. 5trucks

5trucks 1/2 ton status

If that was death wobble then HOLY CRAP!!! He has a leaf sprung cj7 so it isn't a coil over problem. I will check for loose parts. Thanks.

8. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

You will know death wobble when it hits. Your hands will go white knuckle on the steering wheel and you will be on the brakes as hard as you can trying to to stop that wicked wobble. Once you stop you will be pulling seat foam out of your crack going WTF just happened. :eek1:

Harley

9. 5trucks

5trucks 1/2 ton status

All u-bolts were LOOSE!!! One side was so loose i could turn nut by hand. Hope that fixes. Thanks!

10. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

sway bar was the only thing hold his front suspension together :eek1:

11. RockinChevy

You guys are lucky... I'm picturing it could've turned out worse. Tell your brother to check all bolts and nuts before and after each trip. Hell, everybody should be doing that....Sounds like a giant PITA but I do it too. My ubolts have a tendecy to loosen and back off a couple of threads so I check on them once a week. Then again before and after wheeling.