Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

wobble

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by hardcore_rob, Feb 8, 2005.

1. hardcore_rob

hardcore_rob 1/2 ton status

So I am completely frustrated again.... I finally saved up enough money to get my driveshaft rebalanced, the ujoints and the slip yoke replaced as well and it didnt do a damn thing to get rid of the wobble that occures when driving it. I am thinking the only thing left could be a bent spline. It doesnt look damaged but who knows. How expensive and difficult is it to replace? I cant afford to put any more money into this vehicle. I just am trying to make it presentable to get rid of it. Somebody take it. Ease my frustration.

rob

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

You are getting vibrations in the driveline I am guessing correct? This does not automatically equal driveshaft vibs. This can be caused by lots of things. The most common is improper angles on the ujoints in the driveshaft when it is installed in the truck. This can be fixed by correcting the angles by shimming the pinion or dropping the tcase till the angles are right.

Other things are ussually more serious. Pinion nut backing off, tcase or tranny headed south, etc.

Harley

3. hardcore_rob

thanks for the info. i will check the angles, as that sounds the best place to start. any tips on what exactly i need to just? i have never had to make any angle changes before.

4. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I generally use a magnetic base angle gauge that you can get at Harbor Freight or Ace Hardware. You just measure the angle of the tcase output and then the driveshaft. Then measure the angle of the pinion.

Subtract the angle of the pinion and the tcase from the driveshaft angle and you get the angle of each joint. If they are to far off each other they will vibrate. If they are at to much operating angle they will vibrate.

Harley

5. boz42

boz42 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

u need to check the angle of the d-shaft in relation to the yokes. if it is a single joint shaft both u-joint angles should be equal but oppisite. if it is a cv shaft the joint at the differential should be almost straight(the closer the better)

6. hardcore_rob

i have the single joint shaft, just need to get under my truck tomorrow and check those angles, I probably could have saved myself some time and money if I had checkd those first

7. hardcore_rob

well, I tried shimming to get the angles corrected, i even removed the lift to see if the wobble would go away. it still wobble when i get to about 35 mph, doesnt matter if i am in gear or not, as long as it is that fast it wobbles. I have heard it could be the pinon bearing???? either way, i cant afford to put any more money into it, it is going up to one of the local parking lots and classifieds for sale for best offer... i was hoping to have it running right but oh well..

8. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

Dont mean to offend but are you sure about your tires? Out of balance, out of round tires or bent rim could cause this???

9. hardcore_rob

Its is a defintely a possibilty but it would be odd that it started happening after my rear u-joints came aprt and the driveshaft dropped. if it were out of round or balance, wouldnt the wobble be there even at 5-10 mph evan if less noticable, it seems to happen at that 35mph threshhold.

10. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

My truck had this issue once, it wound up that when I put my ujoint in, the one part of it was up on the little stop on one side of the knuckle. It shook like crazy at about 40 mph, then cleared up before and after that. Thankfully, I was smart enough not to take it above 50 mph until I figured out what was wrong.

11. hardcore_rob

how much was the u-joint off center? mine doesnt look off but i will get back out and check it, and readjust it if necessary.... btw, i appreciate all the tips and comments.... i am running out of ideas