Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

WoHoo...She's at 100% again!!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by K5 NUTT, Apr 4, 2000.

1. K5 NUTT

K5 NUTT 1/2 ton status

WoHoo...She\'s at 100% again!!!

Got up early today...7am...(Hey, its my day off..lol) and went down to my buddies shop. Removed the gear box and got to see the crack in all her somewaht glory. The crack ran along the outside of the bottom right mounting hole. V'd it out and had my buddy run a nice bead in her then ground it down flush...then we welded the repair plate in and bolted her up with the addition of the ORD steering box brace!!! Then for the testy drive...man..its rides and drives unlike a tank but a cadilac to me...no more wanderin round!!!! So now the 79 is up and ready to hit the Crown King trail in all her glory...lol. Hmmm...maybe this sunday i can go visit a couple o ghost towns i've been meanin to check on!!!!

AZBLAZER

1979 K5
    1976 K5 Chalet
    1972 K10 Suburban

2. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

Re: WoHoo...She\'s at 100% again!!!

Good job! It great when you get her back into shape.

C'moe

<font color=black>the blazer is "Back in Black"

3. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

Was the repair plate also from ORD? or what was it?

<font color=black>//////
    What the heck!...Drive it like gas is $0.50/gal!!!
    </font color=black>[​IMG]

4. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Great news Doug! That frame repair that you did should be done to all K5's......have had that happen to two of mine and a couple of bud's K5's and they don't have a lift nor wheel them! Wasn't too bad of a repair, sounds like. How was pulling the steering box off? Let us know!!

'79 - 406 w/IROC TPI - K5#5 - a <font color=orange>sickness[​IMG] <font color=blue>you never get enough of!! [​IMG]

5. K5 NUTT

K5 NUTT 1/2 ton status

The plate was from ORD..you get 2 plates actaully...one that you weld on to the front of the frame where the bolt holes are and one to weld on on the bottom of the frame just under the first one...i skipped this plate as the steering box brace really makes the installation of this plate redundant. Its actually weird driven her to and fro now...i mean it doesn't wander a bit...plus i inadvertantly lost a vibration..a good thing. Dropping the box off is no biggy BlazinOR....puttin the steering box brace kit in takes a lil bit of time though...you must bend the top brake line going to the prop valve to clear the brace first...then using the supplied bolts(longer) bolt the brace in...takes a bit as the upper bolt has to be in the brace afore it goes up as the brake line hampers installation...then its baby turns with a CRAFTSMAN wrench as no socket will get on it due to the brake line....plus my Snap-On wrenches are to long to fit in there...once those two bolts are in you must remove the clamp holdin the 2 brake lines to the frame just to the right of the prop valve as this is the hole you will drill out to accept a new 1/2 bolt...(oops..remove this clamp afore bolting in brace...sorry)...once you drill the hole out you will need a air grinder with a carbide bur to get the hole centered to the brace hole...then you just bolt that down and away you go!!!

AZBLAZER

1979 K5
    1976 K5 Chalet
    1972 K10 Suburban