Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Woke up this morning and...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BlazerWheels, May 23, 2003.

1. BlazerWheels

BlazerWheels 1/2 ton status

started my truck to go to work discovered it wasn't firing on all 8 /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif. It ran fine last night. I changed the plugs about a year and a half ago(when I bought it), changed the cap and rotor at the same time. I don't know how old the wires are. I figure I will change the plugs (possibly bosch platinum?? any suggestions here), wires, cap, and rotor this weekend. Is there anything else I should take a look at? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

Oh yeah this is on an '85 /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif, stock 350, with 117k miles.

Thanks

2. yellowK20

yellowK20 Well Lubricated Premium Member GMOTM Winner

If your truck has a carb stay away from platnum plugs they suck unless you have F.I........just my .02

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

They suck even with EFI. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif I tried a set of Bosch Platinum plugs in my S-Jimmy. They didn't even last 2 years before the tips were mostly non-existent. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif Good ol' 2-for-$1.96 AC Delco plugs from Walmart work much better and cost a lot less! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

4. BlazerWheels

BlazerWheels 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the tip on those, that will save some $$$ /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Don't waste your money on the cap and rotor, especially not for an "it worked fine last night" issue. Pull the cap off, make sure all the terminals are tight, if not, tighten them, make sure the terminals are clean on the inside, if not, take some sandpaper to them.

Same deal with the rotor, make sure its clean, and its good to go.

If the terminals are dirty or loose, and not otherwise physically damaged, those small steps will make a world of difference in driveability.

Consider it an ignition rebuild, not a replacement /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif