Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Wolf Ammo

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by SS66, Feb 6, 2004.

1. SS66

SS66 1/2 ton status

Anyone here use Wolf brand ammo? If so- Have you personally had any bad experiences with it?

2. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I shoot it in my SKS no probs here /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Ive used it a few times, no problems. Its good range ammo IMO and the price tends to be right. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

j

4. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Wolf ammo sucks. In an SKS or AK they are fine but anything that is a decent gun I wouldn't shoot it in. You get what you pay for. If you have a decent gun shoot decent ammo.

Harley

5. SS66

SS66 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Wolf ammo sucks. In an SKS or AK they are fine but anything that is a decent gun I wouldn't shoot it in. You get what you pay for. If you have a decent gun shoot decent ammo

[/ QUOTE ]

This is basically what I have heard.... I 'read' that it stinks, doesnt burn all the powder... and the steel case is bad for chambers. I got 500 rounds free, Im not sure if I should put it through my non AK/SKS gun or not. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif Oh well, thanks for the prompt replies /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. Tweetysuarus

Tweetysuarus 1/2 ton status

Wolf Ammo leaves a residue behind that is hard to get off in tight places! It sucks! Unless you are into total break down of your weapon, I wouldn't use it!
    Bill

7. Hossbaby50

It is ok for sks & ak because they are designed to shoot crap ammo and they are designed with really loose tolerances. Anything else is questionable at best. The steel case thing is a big thing, and so is the laquer coating on the outside. if your chamber get real hot it can melt the coating and leave laquer in your chamber which would be bitch to clean and bad for the chamber.

Wolf=Bad

8. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

All that ruskie stuff is junk. Why do you think they lost the Cold War?
    Now they are making big bucks selling their old junk to stupid Amerikan Comarads.

9. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

I go shooting with a buddy of mine on a regular basis and that's all he uses in his smaller rifles.

Last time we went out we had really good luck with a great batch, and he has said that sometimes he gets a not so great batch but never anything bad.

And all we use out at the range with the Wolf ammo is his Anschutz,
    [​IMG]
    and that ain't no crap rifle! Or we use his Bushmaster Varminter
    [​IMG]

Neither of these are cheap rifles by a long shot. We do a lot of target shooting with these and constantly have a crowd around to check them out and his shooting skill (I'm not bad, but nothing spectacular)
    When he hunts he uses his own home made ammo though, much better accuracy and all then. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

10. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

I agree with most peopel here - I shoot wolf in import stuff that is made for it, like the ak47 sks. I would NOT shoot it in an ar, 1911, or other decent domestic gun. Our guns are made for brass cases, not steel.

What gun are you shooting? More than likely, you can buy some better surplus ammo for the same price as wolf. For example, I priced some wolf ammo for the AR15. For the same price (or a little less) i got some quality surplus Federal M193. Only thing is you have to buy in bulk, which is not a problem for me /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

11. xflatrater

xflatrater Registered Member

One of our pistol ranges will not allow wolf or CCI blazer ammo on the range, why i dont really know it could be the smoke or the cases.

12. Hossbaby50

Wolf .22lr rimfire ammo acutally is good ammo, but everything else from what I have shot and understand is junk.

My dads bushmaster won't even feed wolf ammo. It won't chamber it all the way. And yes the chamber is clean. It all depends on the gun, but I won't shoot wolf in anything I own.

I have also heard that there shotgun ammo is ok too.

Harley

13. BrianDamage

BrianDamage 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    One of our pistol ranges will not allow wolf or CCI blazer ammo on the range, why i dont really know it could be the smoke or the cases.

[/ QUOTE ]

because they can't reload the cases

ranges make alot of $$$ by sweeping up all that left behind brass and selling it to reloaders or relaoding themselves and selling the ammo.

14. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

SUCK /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

Only problem I ever had with my HK is Wolf ammo.... cases split and wedged inside the chamber /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif, figured ah its just a misfire or one bad case... when happened the second time (within 10 rounds) I grabbed my box of winchesters and fired 50rds with no problems.... I'll never will use Aluminum cases again... unless its not in my gun /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

They shot fine in a CZ75b that had 20K rounds threw it /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif
    My buddy bought a case of wolf ammo and let me use it on one of our outings.... Never again and I know he still has some left

15. clubba68

clubba68 1/2 ton status

I have shot it multiple times in my roommates AK. Never any problems. Gun is always cleaned after use, and it is a dirtier ammo, but for the price, the extra time is well worth it.