Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

wondering about IFS?

Discussion in '1992-Present Chevy & GMC models' started by bryguy00b, Jun 21, 2003.

1. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

i was considering after selling my tuck when that happens..(86 chevy..) to get a 88-up truck, the only reason im leary about it is the ifs. i love the solid axle..there stronger, and very simple. the ifs just looks confusing to me. how hard is it really to work on that, and can anyone explain how its setup? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

2. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

IFS is pretty simple, you have a center section that the axles slide into... control arms with ball joints and usually shims or eccentrics, where they mount to the frame, to adjust your alignment... and knuckles that the calipers, control arms, brakes and such mount to.... anything specific??

3. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

i dunno id just have to see it..ive never really looked under an ifs truck much..i only know the older chevy solid axles.

4. Shorts

Shorts 1/2 ton status

go to my websites if you wanna see IFS pics and its ease of maintenance /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

5. 89K1500Chevy

89K1500Chevy 1/2 ton status

Re: wondering about IFS? *DELETED*

89K1500Chevy

6. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

hmmm well i think ill stick with my old trucks..the solid axle is so much simpler and stronger..

7. b454rat

b454rat 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Do what I did and alot of others did, get an IFS, take it out and throw it in a dumpster, and put a solid axle in it. The way I see it, the best of both worlds.

8. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

$$$$$ /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

9. 89K1500Chevy

Re: wondering about IFS? *DELETED*

89K1500chevy

10. b454rat

It doesn't cost as much as you would think. If you go out and by the axle from Dynarape or ORU, yes, it is ungodly expensive. I have a grand total of about 6k in my truck, and that includes buying the truck, the front 60, and the tires. If you have access to a welder and some steel, then it won't cost that much at all.

11. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Yes but if you find a 60, even for free, and you actually completely rebuild it, seals, bearings, locker, gears, etc your talking 2-3 grand...

12. b454rat

That 6k is including the price of rebulding the 60, all but new gears and carrier bearings, which I will do when I get new gears. Nobody ever said this hobby was cheap...

13. 89K1500Chevy

haha yeah its not cheap but i want to get a 2wd for a DD anyways so i think ill just keep the IFS. /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

14. Shorts

Shorts 1/2 ton status

89K1500Chevy - this is probably gonna piss you off, and probably inappropriate of me, but you're a post whore /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif just an observation /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

15. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

No worries bryguy

An IFS truck will be compareable to your current set-up. (SFA, 31" tires)
    With the advantage of,
    - less un-spung weight for a better ride
    - Better tire-to-road contact in all but the most extream conditions (articulation)
    - Dramaticaly redused bump-steer, very predictable steering. Exactly what is needed in 99% of the vehicles intened use.

The advantages of IFS are well known, but very understated in the "hard-core" 4-wheeling comunity.

I would say - a 1/2 ton IFS is comparable to a 1/2 ton SFA as far as strength. How meny snapped 44/10-bolt steering joints do you hear of ? Compare that number to the actual snapped Half-shafts.
    I've seen and snapped a number a joints in my SFA, yet I've never seen a snapped half-shaft first-hand, that was not accedent related.

16. 89K1500Chevy

haha yeah i got to catch up on posting. no probs here shorts and why would it make anyone mad to be called a post whore? i thought that was pretty funny cuz i had not heard that before /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif the money the beer the women its a crazy nitelife

edit- yes on this thread i was replyin to ppl a few times but im deleting them now /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

17. Shorts

Shorts 1/2 ton status

nah, you don't have to erase your posts. just added the pre-name calling intro there cause i know some folks take offense faster than others do /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif its all good /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif