Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

wondering

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by iwaxmyjimmy, Nov 3, 2006.

1. iwaxmyjimmy

iwaxmyjimmy College web wheeler Premium Member

i just bought a 87 GMC jimmy w/ 72K miles all original besides a cd player and some pacer bulletholes w/ 33 BFG muds. it tends to wonder all over the place im thinking its the steering stabilizer. does this sound familiar to neone?

2. Txchevy18

Txchevy18 1/2 ton status

Sounds more like a a tracking probelm. I would look at the ball joints being bad and check the steering linkage for loose and worn steering parts. A steering stabilizer just helps to dampen road inconsitencys as you drive over them. Good luck with the rig and welcome to ck5!

3. mxfireman

mxfireman 1/2 ton status

Sounds a little more than just the steering stabilizer check all the U-joints on the front end. I am sure you will find they are a little worn out. Welcome to CK5!!!

4. iwaxmyjimmy

well its like every little movement of the wheel and it goes that direction like alot of play in the steering

5. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

6. iwaxmyjimmy

ok thanx thats alot of good info. ill check it out and let yall know something

7. iwaxmyjimmy

found it to be a driver side wheel bearing being a lil warn w/ about an 1/8th inch. movement. should be replaced maybe next weekend along w/ front pads and rotors(he gave me the rotors with it). i had to pay rent this week.
    cant wait to start building it up ive been looking a sliders and bumpers for about an hr now.

8. Tannerman

Tannerman Registered Member

When I got my truck I had a similar problem and after replacing one or two parts I started to suspect the pitman arm. Ordered a new one and after I swapped it in it was a huge difference.