Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Won't ask again, I promise. 4" lift w/33's or 6" w/35's?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by shum1, Dec 8, 2000.

1. shum1

shum1 1/2 ton status

Won\'t ask again, I promise. 4\" lift w/33\'s or 6\" w/35\'s?

Man, I'm having a hard time deciding. I have a 90 1/2 ton suburban. Either lift probably wont fit in my garage. Will the bigger lift/tires suck on the highway? I have a few kids so we need to be reasonably comfortable on road trips. Would 4.88's be the right gears for 35's I have overdrive. I live in the mountains and tow but at the same time I dont want to over rev on flat ground while towing. Man, those 35's look great and dont weigh much more than 33's. Although, 33's are 20 lbs heavier than my current 31's. I figure I will gain 400rpms w/ 35's and 4.88's on highway. I currently have 31's and 3.73's If I go with 4.56's and 35's I gain 200rpms over my current stock setup, will this be enough to overcome the weight and resistance of my larger rig? I also have gm 10 bolts. Alternatively, I could bag it and go with 33" and 4.56's Any predictions on milage with any of these setups? I get about 11mpg now. Thanks, And like I said, after this post I'm done with it.

2. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

Re: Won\'t ask again, I promise. 4\" lift w/33\'s or 6\" w/35\'s?

Well, here's my opinion.
    Since you are planning on towing and doing a lot of pavement pounding, I would suggest staying with the 4" lift which would allow you to run either 33 or 35" tires (35's might require a little trimming if you go fourwheeling). For gears, I don't think the 4.88 gear/ 35" tires combo would be any problem since you have the overdrive trans. The one thing I would question is how this combo would work when pulling a trailer on flat ground, since you shouldn't be running in o/d. Just make sure the revs wouldn't be too high in that situation.

3. BUDDY

BUDDY 1/2 ton status

OK here's your setup:

4" lift
    35's
    minor trimming for clearance
    4.56's

You'll be very happy with it!!

Buddy

I've got my dream truck and it's a 72 K-5 that is getting there!!

4. Brian 89KBlazer

Brian 89KBlazer 1/2 ton status

I vote 6" with 35's minimum and 4.56 gears. Nice looking combo, expecially on a Sub!!

Happy Decision Making!!
    Brian
    89KBlazer

5. SlyDog

SlyDog 1/2 ton status

Gotta agree with brian [​IMG]

[​IMG] SlyDog [​IMG]