Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Won't go into gear

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ArrowheadK5, May 7, 2002.

1. ArrowheadK5

ArrowheadK5 1/2 ton status

Won\'t go into gear

When I first start my truck after it's been sitting a while (overnight, or 6+ hours, basically) I sometimes can't get it to shift at all. (It's a 3/4t with the sm465, I think...) It's like I'm not strong enought to jamb it into gear. And the reverse gear won't syncronize, it's going to fast and it just grinds. I Usually can force it into the highest gear, and then I give it some gas and unclutch until just before it stalls... it will roll about four inches and then I can jamb (it's still really hard) it into first (not L, 1). The t-case shifter is in 2hi, I checked to make sure it was all the way there.
    Could this be a problem with the clutch not disengaging all te way when it's pushed to the floor or a problem with the tranny itself?
    Oh yeah-- This problem showed up about a two weeks ago, then went away for a week, and now it's back. Any ideas?
    Thanks.

2. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

Re: Won\'t go into gear

sounds like clutch related
    LO gear will tell that tale.
    with cltch depressed how long does it take gears to stop spinning?
    you can test that by applying slight pressure towards the LO gear and listen to the gear spinning

3. Sparky

Sparky 1/2 ton status

San Antonio(summer) Texas A and M (school year)

If your clutch and sycros are working properly, you should be able to put your foot in the clutch, shove it into a higher gear (say 3) and then put it in 1st or reverse real easy. It uses the syncros from the other gear and lines everything up, and then the gears without syncros should be nice and easy as long as you leave your foot down on the clutch. This works on just about every stick i have ever driven.

Sparky

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

How high is your idle? Reverse and lo will obviously grind if idle is high enough.

5. ArrowheadK5

Its an 87 with fuel inject, so I don't know how to check the idle, anyway that seems fairly normal. I have put it in the other gears and it doesn't synchronize--at least not as fast as it used to, and I'm assuming, should.
    It has gotten worse, but seems to be worse in the morning when it's been cold all night. After school it isn't as bad, and leaving the GF's house late at night it's worse. Seems to be temp-related. It is annoying as hell, though, and I need to figure this out. Thanks for the help.

6. ArrowheadK5

Any other ideas on this? What things should I check to prevent it from getting to be a big problem?
    Nothing is too obvious... I'm at a loss
    thanks