Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

wont idel in gear>??????

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by looloozu, Jan 14, 2007.

1. looloozu

looloozu Registered Member

Ok i have a chevy 350 small block. In the past few weeks I have been haven one problem after another. first i replaced the dizz and put cyl1 on TDC and then used my timing light to get it to 8deg. been told that 6 8degs work good on chevs so thats what i did. but i have a small problem. the first day i timed it i drove up the road fine NP at all but today it seems to have a new problem. In N it idels fine seems to be on. but when i go into R D 1 or 2 the motor stalls out right away. In 1 2 secs. I can get it to stay running if i give it the gas but once i let off it stalls. I turned the idel up but still no luck. I even went higher then the idel should be but once i shift it stalls unless i rev the motor high into the rpms. I also tryed 4H and 4L same problem. I checked the oil and trans oils and np there. I also got a new starter just before this problem started. It seems to start fine IE no gears grinding on the fly wheel ect. Im out of ideas at this point. Any ideas what i should check next. maybe look at the timing again or shim the starter i really dont know im just grasping at this point. also if i do rev it and get into gear it drives fine. but once i slow in the rpms like comen to a stop it stalls right away.

2. Craig Artzner

Craig Artzner 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I'm in the middle of this problem right now with my truck. I've got the carb off for a rebuild. If it's not idling look for any manifold vacuum leaks, possible low fuel pressure. Both of those things are NOT a problem in my case, so I'm going after the carburetor, it's been on the truck since '76 so a rebuild can't hurt...

3. looloozu

ok update. i changed the carb out just for the heck of it. and charged the vacume lines at the same time. they arnt new lines just old ones off the other quardjet i had. once i got it ideling i tryed shifting and same thing stalls right away. so it might be the old lines but 2 sets of lines i cant see havent the same problem but im going to replace all them tomorrow. i know its not the carb i have tryed 2 same thing. would the valve pan covers being unbolted do anything. i dont have them bolted down right now. also i checked the tlight again im right on 8deg still. anyother ideas??? thanks for the help

4. BlaKK54Speed

BlaKK54Speed 1/2 ton status

sounds like the tranny is putting too much load on the engine

5. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

More info is needed before anyone can help you out. Fill out your profile so we know something about you and your rig. Does this truck have a points distributor, HEI, or is it computer controlled? 350's have been used since 1967 and have had some changes over the years. People have changed things around on them as well so this is why we need more details.

6. looloozu

Ok its a Turbo 400 Auto Tranny, Late 70's Early 80's Chevy 350, HEI Dizzy Quardjet 750cfm 4brl Carb in a 1981 Short Wheel Base Blazer 4x4. Stock Tcase. The hole problem started with the timing going out and a bad starter. When this happen i used the downtime to installed a 4" suspension lift kit. I only have the front drive shaft in right now as im waiting for my new driveshaft from the local shop. So no rear driveshaft right now. I replaced the HEI dizzy and the starter (starter NAPA rebuilder) plugs, plug wires. before i changed the starter i had it timed and running. it ran fine and changed gears no problem with just the one driveshaft. I drove it up and down my road a few times with no problem. Say 5km total. after i installed the starter (the next day) i rechecked the the timing with my timing light its still at 8deg right now ( pulled off the vac advance line timed it and plugged the vac advance back in). It started after 2 pumps as normal and ideled fine. I changed gears and Stall. Tryed a few more times and stall. I let the truck warm up and still a stall. I checked all the fluids and they are fine. If i put the Tcase in N and changed gears it dont stall. once i go to 2h, 4h or 4l on the tcase and change it stalls. I can keep it running if i rev it right up and changed gears and then i can drive but if i let off the gas it stalls. I checked the idel and put it up way over what it should and still a stall. I have to rev it really high to keep it going. But in park it idels fine. so im stuck help help help !! Im going to check the tcase fluid to see if its low but i have the yoke out and a bag tapped over the end so i didnt bleed the tcase oil. if it is low would that make this problem???

7. 4X4HIGH

Sounds to me like you have a vacuum leak somewhere. I would start by disconnecting and plugging vacuum lines one at a time until you've found the problem. The first place i would start is the power brake booster vacuum line as the booster may have developed a leak in the diaphram.

8. looloozu

im going to replace all the lines tomorrow with new ones. with the brake booster can i block off the line 100% ??

9. 4X4HIGH

Yes, that is the most probable cause of your symptems.

10. looloozu

a friend sugested checking all my rockers by letting the engine idel and backing off the nut unit i hear the rocker tick then going down untill it stops then do 1/4 turn. and to do that to all the rockers. should i try this or not attemp it?

11. 4X4HIGH

Did you adjust the rockers recently? You made no mention of doing so.

12. 88sub4x4

88sub4x4 1/2 ton status

Does the TH400 have a lock up torque converter? If so, it may be possible that the converter is locked, therefore stalling the engine when stopped.

13. 4X4HIGH

No TH400 ever had a lock up convertor.

14. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

yes, you can do this, and be prepared to make a nice little mess, as those little suckers will shoot oil out pretty far :p:

unless of course you have the rocker arm oil deflectors,,,those are SO cool :D

15. looloozu

yes i forgot to say that i had done a rocker adjustment but it seemed to run and idel fine after doing so i adjusted them with the motor off. in the same way backing them off till i could move the push rod and then going down till the rod stopped moving and then 1/2 turn.

16. 4X4HIGH

Did you have each cylinder at TDC compression stroke when you adjusted them this way? If not then yes you need to go back and readjust them but make sure that each cylinder in which you are going to adjust is at TDC compression stroke.

17. looloozu

ok so today i went and got all new vacumelines from the brake booster to the vac advance. put them on and still no luck. same thing if the transfer case is in N i can change gear as it has no load on it but once again it stalls if im in 2h 4h or 4l so im prity sure its not vacume. i also went around on the connection with a propane torch and i didnt notice any change in the motor