Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

won't idle when cold

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sled_dog, Apr 8, 2003.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

won\'t idle when cold

My K5 just doesn't idle when its freezing cold. Past 2 days has been 30s and snow so anytime I drop it out of gear and let the rs come down I have to give it gas or it will stall out. Any ideas what this can be? If I am sitting still and it starts to stall I pop it a couple times and it will idle fine.

2. BigBurban350

BigBurban350 1/2 ton status

Re: won\'t idle when cold

Upgrade to fuel injection /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I wish I could afford it. Someday

4. rick88blaze

rick88blaze 1/2 ton status

might turn idle up a little bit or maybe advance timing 1 or 2 degrees.

5. jhrody

jhrody 1/2 ton status

mine was doing the same thing until i adjusted the idel mixture.....mine was running tooooooooo lean. I backed outt he screws until I achieved the highest vacuum reading.

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

timing is advanced 2 degrees as is. 6 factory spec is 4. Sometimes it idles a little high so I think idle is set pretty rich.

7. jhrody

jhrody 1/2 ton status

yes, you can also be running too rich.....when its cold, the choke is causing more fuel to be dumped into a potentially already too rich mixture--- when it opens after warmup, it's going to run better.

I'd double check that mixture with a vacuum guage. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

8. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

see even after the engine warms up this happens. Today when I was driving home from school it almost stalled like 3 or 4 times and did 2 times. I don't mean when the engine is cold I mean when its cold outside! With the radio on I know when its about to stall I can feel and see it in the [censored] lever, steering gets tight and so do the brakes, nothing scarier than hitting th ebrakes and finding little there and same for steering.

9. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

mine does the same thing..you just gatta get the hang of the gas and how to treat it when its cold..thats just part of having a carb...carbed engines wont go anywear when they are first started up in the mourning..in fact mine stalled out a couple times backing out of the driveway this mourning..but once it gets warmed up..its smooth sailing..

10. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

when its cold outside that will make the engine cold. if its warm out like 70ish or better then engine stays warmer, when its nice and warm like that, i dont even have to let my truck warm up i can just start and take of..but when its cold like it is outside i usually have to sit a couple minuts and let it warm up...i know when its ready to go when i can rev the engine quick and it wont sputter.. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

yes I know that I have driven a vehicle before. I understand the idea of warming an engine but i am saying even if I let it sit for half an hour and drive it a couple miles it still occurs if its really cold outside.