Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

won't pass inspection (tires)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BSav, Jul 16, 2004.

1. BSav

BSav Registered Member

won\'t pass inspection (tires)

My 88 wont pass Mass inspection which is coming up this monday.
    The tires I have on now barley passes last july, they recomended I change them before the winter, well I failed to do that. When I bought the truck it had a set of rinky dink 31's and I have always wanted 33's. I have american racing chrome (bad choice) wheels that are rusting. I would like to replace those to.
    The truck is my daily driver. It sees alot of street. I grew up with my dad having BFG mud terains 33/12.5/16.5 on his 3/4 ton he got 65+ thousand out of them. I need a tire that is good in all conditions and that dose not want to wander too much on the road. I have been looking in to BFG all terain and also Mickey Thompson and pro comp.
    The wheel situation I was looking in to getting the stock stocton wheels for the winter hear in New England th salt does a number on everything. I was looking in to Mickey Thompson classic and Eagle Alloys 589 for the summer maby. Whould 17 inch rims would be ok with 33 inch tires. I 'm 20 and I have to show up all my rice burner friends while driving over them. It is just a thought.
    If you guys have any experiance with this stuff it would be verry helpfull. This is my first tire purchase.
    Sorry for the length,
    Brian Sav

88 GMC Jimmy, 350, and stock

2. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

Re: won\'t pass inspection (tires)

17's and 33's would be a weird in my book. A bit tooooo much rim.

3. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

I don't know of any A/T that sells with 33X17? I would stick with BFG muds if it were me. The pro comps stuff sucks and is too expensive if you ask me. I think a 305/75/16 would be close to a 33X12.50 for a 16" rim.

4. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

I'd get some new friends. Ricer's are no good to be hanging around, bad influences... /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

The BFG AT's are good. Can't say much about the ProComps or the Mickey T's. I would stay with one wheel. Remounting your tires every season would be a bitch.

5. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    17's and 33's would be a weird in my book. A bit tooooo much rim.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll second that......

6. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I think pro comp tires are junk IMHO. I would go with the BFG A/T or M/T on 589's because the tires are tried and true and the rims are aluminum so no rust. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

7. sickquad

sickquad 1/2 ton status

I know of a place in MA to get your rig inspected. Well, at least they helped me out last year for a little extra. PM me.

-Chris

8. ugly_blazer

ugly_blazer 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I think pro comp tires are junk IMHO. I would go with the BFG A/T or M/T on 589's because the tires are tried and true and the rims are aluminum so no rust. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

The rims won't rust, but if you don't polish them every week they will oxidize. I think a rusty steel wheel looks better than an oxidized aluminum wheel.

9. BSav

BSav Registered Member

Thanks for the help I think BFG's are the way and the wheels I have for now will work for now. Thanks for the help.
    Brian Sav