Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Won't start after new carb and distributor re-install

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by johnny reb, Aug 9, 2005.

1. johnny reb

johnny reb 1/2 ton status

Ok, so I got the Edelbrock 1406 installed and I put my distributor back in. I thought I had the carb hooked up properly and I thought I had the distributor stabbed right. Here's what's happening....

Engine just cranks and never fires up. I can see the fuel squirting in the bowl. The first time I tried to fire it up, I would see a puff of fuel coming from the top of the carb on each crank. I loosened the distributor and rotated it counterclockwise about 10 degrees. Then when I cranked it, I had a backfire from the carb.

I don't have anyone here right now that can help me test for spark. That was going to be my next step. What else should I be looking for?

2. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

Can you set the motor at #1 TDC then pull the cap to see if the point is aiming at #1?

3. johnny reb

I think that might have been the problem. I pulled out the distributor and tried again. Now my battery is dead so I have it charging up. Here's what I did this time...

1. Removed plug from #1 cylinder.
    2. Stuffed cotton ball in #1 cylinder plug hole.
    3. Removed distributor cap.
    4. Cranked engine one cylinder at a time until cotton ball popped out.
    5. Removed and re-installed distributor so that rotor was pointing at the cylinder the cotton ball just popped out of.
    6. Re-installed distributor cap.
    7. Installed plug wires according to firing order.

I haven't yet turned the engine over because the battery is still charging. Is my above method correct?

4. or2play

or2play 1/2 ton status

sounds like the distributor is 180 degress out. I would pull it out turn it 180 and try that. should get it started at least.

5. down4thakrown

down4thakrown 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

did you have the cotton ball in the #1 cylinder and was the rotor on the #1 wire? if not........ i dont think it matters, now that i think about it. aslong as the rotor was pointing at wire that goes to the cylinder with the cotton ball in it. but im not sure mayber some one can clarify.

6. Ben

Ben Registered Member

I like that cotton ball trick! I gotta try it sometime!
    But..if you're getting fuel...then the spark is the problem. You can only play around with the distributor until it fires then put a timing light on to get it all correct. Not much help I'm afraid...180 off? Or it's not pointing to number 1.

7. johnny reb

I got everything hooked up yesterday. Running like a champ. Thanks for the help.