Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Wont start after sitting overnight?

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by dhdescender, Nov 1, 2003.

1. dhdescender

dhdescender 1/2 ton status

Qualicum Beach, British Columbia, Canada - Eh.
    Im having a problem in the mornings when I go to start my truck up, it seems like the fuel is draining back into the tank and my batteries arnt strong enough to crank long enough to get the fuel up. Where would be the best place to look for the leak? Also I heard of people putting electric fuel pumps in the frame rail so solve the problem? Any helps appreciated.

Jordan

2. Tybee

Tybee 1/2 ton status

Mine has the same symtoms when I dont use the block heater.

3. dhdescender

dhdescender 1/2 ton status

Qualicum Beach, British Columbia, Canada - Eh.
    ok, Ill try plugging it in tonight, its be right around freezing here lately.

Jordan

4. doctor4x4

doctor4x4 1/2 ton status

Also I heard of people putting electric fuel pumps in the frame rail so solve the problem?
    that what i have done and fixed my problem sometimes i gotta bleed the filter valve but thzts only after sitting for a week or more + i am so paraaanoid i even have a second 1 in the fram rail on a switch if the first one goes out /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif
    R

5. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Sounds like you've got 1 of two problems:

1: The diaphragm in your mech. fuel pump is allowing fuel to drain back. If that's the case a new lift pump is in order.

2: There's an air leak in your fuel system somewhere. Take a close look at all your fuel lines under the hood and check for small cracks or splits. I had a similar problem a while back and it ended up being a split line beneath a hose clamp.

Plugging in the truck should help quite a bit. My 83 is really cranky to start at temps below 2' Celcius. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

6. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Sounds like a GP problem to me. I installed the AC 60G GP's and the stock controller wouldn't light em up long enough when it was really cold. I converted to manual contol and it fires up at -2 C without having to plug it in with relative ease. Approx 12 seconds of glow, 3/4 throttle and about 4 seconds of cranking.

My starter is on the way out though...or it would prbably start easier. My cranking speed is only borderline IMO.

Rene

7. Tybee

Tybee 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Approx 12 seconds of glow

[/ QUOTE ] /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif I need to get some 60s

8. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

My 6.2L had a small air leak in the filter base. It was never fixed, and the previous owner went through several starters as a result. After I fixed the leak, it was still a bear to start. Finally changed out the starter (which still appeared new) and it made all the difference. Starts immediately - even when cold. Cranking speed was up at least 50% with the new starter. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

[ QUOTE ]
    /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif I need to get some 60s

[/ QUOTE ]

One of the best mods I've made...that and the manual controller. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Rene

10. Tybee

Tybee 1/2 ton status

I have the manual controller, but have yet to get the 60s, soon though as soon as I figure my oil issue out.

11. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Now I see why I like my Perkins diesel more than my 6.2
    No GP's, no block heater, one battery and a huge ass starter, and it starts like it was just driven even in -5 Celsius so far, and it starts in a split second.
    If it ever takes more than one second then I check for air and I noticed it sometimes gets air when the tank is below half, but otherwise never have problems.

I haven't started my 6.2 for more than a year now but I guess I will do some preventive maintenance before I do so I don't have any of those issues.
    I will: put G60's
    Put a manual controler
    Change all the soft lines.
    Change Filters and make sure there is no leaks and then hope the lift pump is good if not then maybe change that and rebuild my injection pump and be good for a couple of years.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    Meanwhile my Perkins is just great.
    /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif