Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

wont start -- blown fuse

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bjg, Jun 5, 2002.

1. bjg

bjg Newbie

Jun 5, 2002
    Truck - 90 gmc jimmy 350 tbi -- basically stock
    Problem -- truck has been blowing the computer fuse (forget what its labeled ecm, emu, something?) and shutting down. This is normally under hill climbing/ riding over bumps. In the past its been a matter of just replacing the fuse and she starts right up. was that way for about 1 year, probally happend 5 times.
    last month -- stalled out top of hill (was on level ground at time) replaced fuse, and fuse blew as soon as I tried to move. went through about 7 fuses (always carry extra!!!) It ran fine in park but as soon as put in d or reverse it would stall before moveing 2 inches.
    In frustration: (only because way out in the woods) bypassed the fuse with a piece of speaker wire. again- shut down when tried to move. left it alone for a while, started up again and let it idle for about 10 mins and drove away.
    This week: riding on *dry* slightly bumpy dirt road it stalled out again. no previous remedy would work. the engine is starved for fuel, if starter fluid is sprayed down the throttlebody it will turn over and run untill added fluid is taken away.
    Please help!!!!!

my 3 leads that i'm chasing.
    1. computer is fried. have a powerfull aftermarket stereo, the deck stayed on, but capacitor blinked off and sound went dead when it stalled. all remote leads were hooked up to "non-vital fuses" and yes, i tried to start it after disconnection the whole stereo system.
    2. theres a bad ground somewhere. this makes a little more sence with why it only happens on bumps maybe a wire is shorting out somewhere, but what would stop fuel from going to the engine.
    3. Fuel pump. gas tank has a rattleing noise sometimes, trucks 12 years old at this point I expect everything to ratttle. but if the fuel pump is gone/ going would that blow a fuse for any reason???

Well thats my story any help would be greatly appriciated. I've been putting off a 4" lift +35's for over a year due to unexpected little "delays" like this. again, thanks in advance for help on this perminate work in progress..... Brian
  2. YtseJam

YtseJam 1/2 ton status

May 19, 2002
    Well you are looking to far into it. It is not a bad ground, or fuel pump etc. It won't run because you are blowing the fuse. You have a short to ground. Check the essentials first. You are looking for a chafed wire touching ground. Look at the wires to the throttle body, I have seen them pinched in the air cleaner spacer, look for wires near the manifolds, look at the harness near the bulckhead connector and the pass through grommet at the firewall,Pull the ECM down and look around there. Go from there and let us know what happens
  3. fright89

fright89 1/2 ton status

Sep 27, 2001
    mine did the same. pinched wire in the harness along the frame