Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Won't Start Correctly, need wiring guru!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by OrangeCrushK10, Sep 25, 2005.

1. OrangeCrushK10

OrangeCrushK10 1/2 ton status

Okay, so the "Big Orange Truck" (henceforth shall be known as the B.O.T. :D ) has always had some starting issues. It wouldn't start while cranking over, only after you let off the ignition to the 'run' position will it start (I'm guessing from the built up compression from turning it over with the starter).

So I finally get around to messing with it and I end up somehow really f'ing it all up.... :doah:

Now it will not start at all from the ignition. I can get it to run if I hotwire it by bypassing the igniton's "run" position by running a 'hot' wire directly to the red wire on the HEI Dist. Ofcourse this also disables the ability to shut off the engine unless you unplug the wire. :doah:

So, by doing this it narrows it down to something between the ignition and distributor. The ignition isn't sending any voltage to the distributor to let it run. Any ideas of where to look? I hate doing wiring and don't even know where to start.

Any help would be great. :bow:

2. randy88k5

randy88k5 1/2 ton status

Id first check the ignition switch on the colummn, might have been knocked out of allignment. Though you might not have that same spring feel in the key. Check the wires down there, make sure theyre not loose or corroded. Then trace from there outside. I bet you will find the problem somewhere in there.

Does the battery go under a load when the switch is turned al the way forwad (when its supposed to crank)? Might be a sticking solenoid? Can you try another starter?

Or the switch could be bad. They are only like $20 from the dealer. If you get a new one, make sure you adjust it with the pin inside of it, and remove it upon installation. The new ones come with a pin in the center to hold the switch in one position to help with adjusting.

My friend at the dealer says about 60% of the switched he sells come back with a complaint of the switch being stuck, and the pins are still in them :doah:

3. JEBSR

JEBSR 1/2 ton status

It wouldn't start while cranking over, only after you let off the ignition to the 'run' position will it start

Common problem. You are loosing voltage to the ignition in the run position,but when you let off the ign switch goes back to the start position where it sends voltage again. Replace the ignition switch and drive on

4. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

How much money do you wasnt to spend fixing the problem??? Run a hot wire from the ign unfused block on your fuse box to a toggle switch, then a new wire to the HEI . Problem solved, also hide the switch, and you have a theft deterrant.

5. OrangeCrushK10

OrangeCrushK10 1/2 ton status

I was actually thinking of a similar idea, but completely spaced running through the fuse box! If I do it that way then it would still shut off when the key is in the off position.