Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Won't Start In The Cold

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by crkranz, Jan 15, 2003.

1. crkranz

crkranz Registered Member

Won\'t Start In The Cold

91 K5
    I just purchased this vehicle about a month ago and on cold mornings I have to crank and crank and crank (30 sec.) to get it to start. It was 8 degrees this morning and I couldn't get it to ever start. Where would you guys start to try and solve this problem. TIA.

2. Sidepipes

Sidepipes 1/2 ton status

Re: Won\'t Start In The Cold

I'd say a tune up is in order, new rotor, cap, wires and plugs, possibly coil. Change your fuel filter and put some gas line antifreeze in it and finally put some fuel injector cleaner in it. If its that bad, find a warm place and get it done..... pretty soon you'll have to be replacing the starter and solenoid if you don't.

If this doesn't help then your engine might be a little worn out and not able to create enough compression to fire off the engine.

Mine(86 with 89 TBI) is a little hard to start too, I was about the same temp as you this morning and I turn it over but it doesn't go...It always goes the next time.

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I know I go against the grain, but I don't replace the cap/rotor if they check out with a visual inspection. Can save you a bit of wasted money.

Is it in cold mornings, or ANY time you let the vehicle sit out? (like say, park it in the evening, go back out at noon the next day and it won't start?)

Theres a fuel pump relay, if that fails you must crank the engine until it develops oil pressure before the fuel pump comes on. You may want to check that the pump is working when you turn the key to the "run" position before you start it in the morning.

Re-reading, you said today you couldn't get it to start at all, that probably wouldn't be the pump then. Still, check that it IS working when the key goes to the run position. (runs 2 seconds only I think, if you don't start the vehicle)

4. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

I agree with Dorian, I don't replace everything, I do however change the plugs and inspect wires and cap, clean and put back, if still not good I might change the wires. The cap would fail if it's cracked or the leads are worn out.
    The wires could be broken inside so if they look abused I would change them.

5. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

Does it run good at all other times? Does it get normal gas mileage (at least 15 - 16 or so)? The temp sensor in the intake manifold by the water neck informs the computer what the engine temp is, and when it is cold, this is what tells the computer to richen the mixture so that the engine will start easily. This sensor could be bad or flaky, but that would normally cause other problems as well. In this type of case it is almost always better in the long run to have someone with the proper computer diagnostics determine the cause of the problem than to start swapping parts hoping to hit the right one. There is also the IAC (idle air control) valve on the throttle body, but if that was not opening, the truck would be more likely to start normally but idle really low or not at all.

6. nofeartruckin00

nofeartruckin00 1/2 ton status

When you try to start on cold mornings, does it crank slower than normal, like the starter is spinning at half the speed it seems to when it is warm out? Might even be something as simple as a run down battery, or one without enough CCA. But i don't think that would fix the cranking forever problem.

7. crkranz

I have no problems after it starts. Idles fine as soon as it starts. I have read about temp. sensor problems but it runs fine at all other times. It just starts hard if at all when cold. Thanks for the suggestions.

8. crkranz

Re: Won\'t Start In The Cold -SOLVED

It turns out it was the fuel pump. The old pump wasn't putting out enough pressure. Starts right up now.