Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Won't start sometimes

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by red chev1991, Aug 5, 2005.

1. red chev1991

red chev1991 Newbie

Have 1991 chev truck have problem starting it will not turn over the starter is fine I can jump it from the starter hot or cold doesn't make any difference replaced the ignition switch no help jumped neutral switch no results will start some times with switch, will start every time when I jump it from solenoid. Any help would be appreciated .

2. Kiwi John

Kiwi John 1/2 ton status

non starter

Maybe... I have experienced similar symptom with my 83 Blazer & girlfriends 76 Corvette in as much as they dont turn engine over when you turn ignition key all way round to 'start', BUT if you let it back off a little bit the engine cranks fine. So there seems to be a generic GM fault in the switch assembly (they are 20-30 years old after all.) Try that, let the switch back a smidge and see if it makes contact.
    I read in a corvett mag that the ignition barrel moves a rod down the steering column that actuates the contact for starter at the base of the steering column. Maybe other GM steering columns are like this? Am sure someone will have a better answer than this. Good Luck.

3. red chev1991

red chev1991 Newbie

starting problem

Thanks for the reply i'll try that