Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

wont start starter wont engage i need imediate help please

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by chvymudin3388, Dec 16, 2006.

1. chvymudin3388

chvymudin3388 1/2 ton status

just put the tranny back in and there isnt anything pinched or anything. but when i go to start it nothing happens everything is connected you can jump it with a screwdriver and it works fine what is going on?!?!?!?!?!?!

2. JEBSR

JEBSR 1/2 ton status

what make and model truck, do you do anything other than change the tranny, auto or manual?

3. chvymudin3388

87 k5 blazer 350 tbi 700 R4 tranny just tranny too

4. JEBSR

JEBSR 1/2 ton status

check the plug on the trans. neutral safety may be unplugged or just not making a good connection

5. chvymudin3388

the 4 prong one??? it goes behind the dhift linkage right?

6. chvymudin3388

well it aint that idk what it is im thinking the black wire running to the soleniod possibly has a break in it my dad thinks its the ignition switch suddenly went out or the park nuetral switch he thinks is somewhere on the column is out

7. JEBSR

JEBSR 1/2 ton status

take a volt meter or a test light and check the voltage on the small wire at the starter while someone is holding the ign switch in the start position and see if it has voltage. Also did you pull the starter when pulling the trans? If so make sure you put the small wire going to the solenoid on the post toward the engine block and not on the the post toward the outside of the car

8. chvymudin3388

when i dropeed the starter i left everything connected so its not that and the wire your speaking of ive already checked the small black one right? and its has no power thats the one i was just asking about

9. chvymudin3388

well guys ive tried some other stuff that isnt doing the trick.i am agitated, its dark, i cant see and still no luck. Does any body have any ideas? i checked the neutral switch on the column i tried jumping the wires on it and nothing. Im hoping when i check that wire tomorrow that its the culprit.

10. JEBSR

JEBSR 1/2 ton status

Ok lets go back to the basics for a minute. Check all your fuses first. If all is well there I think it is time to test the ignition switch on the bottom of the column. There should be a purple wire comming out of the switch harness that goes to the neutral saftey switch (pretty sure that year was still purple). See if you have power at that wire with the switch in the start position. IF no then there is a problem in the switch or with voltage getting to the switch (if all gauges and accessories are working and check eng light is on then you have power going to the switch). If yes then go to the neutral safety switch and check power in and out. If you have no power in (with switch in start position) then the wire between the switch and NSS has a break in it. If you have voltage in but not out the the switch is bad or off adjustment. If you have power in and out but still no power to the starter then you are loosing your power at the bulkhead connector or there is a break in the wire between the bulkhead connector and the starter.

The bulkhead connector has been known to corrode and create either a voltage drop or no voltage at all. If you think this is your problem then disconect the battery,unscrew the center bolt on the engine side of the firewall bulkhead connector, clean the connections real good, and put some dielectric grease on the connections and put it back together and try it again.

11. chvymudin3388

well there wasnt a purple one running to it but there was a blue one and it lighted up when u turned on the key to start it and let go and it stayed on

12. chvymudin3388

alright i tihnk it is the neutral safety switch so how do i adjust it??? or replace it???

13. chvymudin3388

one last question can i take the two wires into the switch and just jump the switch and hook it up to the two running out of it????

14. chvymudin3388

no one has yet to reply but i tryed jumping the switch one way and popped the turn b/u fuse and im thinking i hooked it up backwards so i dont know

15. chvymudin3388

i feel like a complete duma$$ you can all laugh if yall want .... i forgot about my theft deterent switch that somehow got switched to the off position :-/

16. JEBSR

JEBSR 1/2 ton status

:waytogo: Sounds like you got it. Don't feel too bad, you'd be amazed at some of the reason cars have been towed to the shop. Oh lets see.

1. Had one towed in for the same reason, had one come in cause he lost the theft deterent card (needed to start) but that shouldn't stop it from running cause (ready for this) he was the rightful owner:haha: .

2. A guy brought one in because the dash lights wouldn't work. He had changed the fuse, replaced the bulbs and couldn't figure it out. I turned the knob and behold he just had the dimmer turned down.

3. A guy brought a 64 vette in one day with a brake squeel. The customer stated that every since he had changed the rear pads in his car they started making a squeeling noise. Pulled the wheel and it was understandable. He put the linnings towards the caliper and the steel backing toward the rotor....

The list goes on and on, Long story short we have all done something like this at some point. Don't sweat it.

17. chvymudin3388

well im just glad i found it i forgot about the switch lol i thought i had serious issues to be delt with lol