Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

won't start - UPDATED -

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by mud390, May 21, 2003.

1. mud390

mud390 1/2 ton status

won\'t start - UPDATED -

My 77 K5 with a 350 in it won't start. The problem happended about 4 1/2 months ago, but before I could dive into it, I had to deploy overseas. Now that I'm back and have had a chance to work on it, here's what I've got so far: New battery and new starter solenoid. I get the clicking at the starter from the solenoid when I turn the key, but it won't turn over. I have everything hooked up right and even though some of the wiring has seen better days, its all there. I have a sneaky suspicion that I have a bad solenoid. Any help would be great. Thanks!

I ended up having two problems. The solenoid was bad and so was the starter. I got a new one from O'Riley Auto Parts with a with a lifetime warrantee for $32. Not to bad of a deal I guess. Put it all together and the truck now goes Varoom! Thanks for all the help guys!!!

2. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

Re: won\'t start

sounds like the solenoid. I've had that "click" many times over the years.

3. mud390

mud390 1/2 ton status

Thats what I was thinking. But what is the likelihood that I got a bad solenoid? I have gotten bad parts before, but they were few and far between. Thanks for the help.

4. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

kick it.

if that fails check your ground wire to the motor. How are your battery cables? If you are running those cheesy replacement ends with the little wire clamps first go find someone and give them a stick, take your 20 lashes then replace em with real cables. If you are still having the click remove the starter and solenoid and try to jump it manually while it is out of the truck. hold on to it cuz if it works it will try to jump out of your hands. if it doesn't work but you feel the solenoid engaging it is the aterter.