Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Wont start when warm

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by DOCKAWI650, Jun 6, 2003.

1. DOCKAWI650

DOCKAWI650 Registered Member

I have an 82 blazer with the 6.2 diesel. It runs great, but when i try to crank it after its been driven for a while it will just turn over and doesnt seem to want to start. any thoughts??? /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

Just a wild-ass-guess, but maybe the injection pump is starting to go. When the injection pump gets heat soaked after sitting the fuel thins. High mileage pumps start having problems building "pop off" pressure with real thin fuel. To test, some folks add a quart of ATF to the fuel to thicken it. If starting improves a new pump is in your future. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

3. Ronnie4wd

Ronnie4wd 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Seems to me that you and ronny.f could have the same problem.I use 15-40 engine oil 3 percents in my fuel just because it´s cheap, they say that two stroke oil is the best additive to lubricant the injectors and pump.I´m not sure but it works for both of my truck´s(6,2). /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

4. DOCKAWI650

I was thinking the injector pump but was hoping it wasnt because im a little low on money..

5. Ronnie4wd

I think you should try to have some motor oil blended in the fuel.And maybe it will help to get a switch to the cold start thing on the injection pump /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif.Some of my freinds has that to cool the pump I think it flushes in fresh cold fuel to the pump then it will get the pressure up so it will start.Seems to work on their trucks.I´m sure someone here has tried that and can explain it more. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

6. DOCKAWI650

how much oil would i put in it?? thanks

7. Ronnie4wd

The first thing to do is check that your oil mixes with your fuel.I have 4 percents of oil in my fuel more will just make more smoke.Tried 10 percents once for curiosity and my oilburner ran really well but you could easilly see were I went. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

8. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

OLD ON THERE PARTNER!!!!!!!!! Before you go and mix anything with your fuel!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Try this! We have this problem weekly in the army with the H1s! Go out and drive your truck till it gets really hot! Normal operating tempature! Once you get it there, go back to your driveway and turn it off.... Wait about 5 minutes and try and start, if it fails to start like you're saying, pop the hood and take your garden hose out.... run cold water over the injector pump for about 1-2 minutes with the engine off obviously! Once you do that, jumpin the truck and crack like you would normally.... The truck should fire right up! If this works, what's happening is the shutoff solenoid in the injector pump is starting to fail! It's getting so hot that it's sticking in the off position and not throwing back to the run position! All you need to do is replace that top cap on the injector pump! It has the solinoids in it, 3 screws and pay attention to how the throw arm slides in! replace it and you're good to go! There is no reasona to replace the whole pump, it's a pain in the butt and unnecessary! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. DOCKAWI650

Thanks for all the replies....I will try all of the advice until something works out for me...thanks again /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

Thats a hell of a good tip. I had no idea that the shutoff solenoid could cause a warm engine no start condition.

11. KRUM

KRUM 1/2 ton status

and where would one locate just the top cap?
    thanks,
    Jerry

12. BlueBlazer

Its right on top of the pump.

13. KRUM

KRUM 1/2 ton status

yeah, i meant where would i be able to purchase just the top cap /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif sorry for the confusion.
    thanks,
    Jerry

14. BlueBlazer

Any diesel injection shop can get it for you.

15. DOCKAWI650

Yeah, i checked advanved, pep boys, and autozone and none of them had it...do you think napa or carquest might?? i don know of any diesel shops..thanks

16. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

I haven't had to search one down for my Blazer yet, but being as I work on Hummers all day long, This is a common problem! Please take note! When you remove the top cap from the injector pump, please take special notes on how the solinoid is ingaged with the injector pump!!!!!! If you don't put the solinoid in right, your engine has a high chance of running away on you! The solinoid won't be able to disingage the fuel and you will have no way to kill the engine unless you can starve the air, or cut the fuel hose!!!!!! And it's no fun trying to kill a 5000 RPm Diesel!!!! A co worker failed to do this right just yesterday and I was forced to cut the fuel line after trying to starve it from air! So by all means please use this tip wisely, but enjoy it! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

17. DOCKAWI650

how would you prevent the engine from going off on you like that? what would be the putting it back in the right way? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

18. doctor4x4

doctor4x4 1/2 ton status

sounds like I have the same problem you do
    Well I do the same thing the 1 guy sugested i have a swich going to the cold advance electrical terminal on the injector pump off is normal and i switch it on when ever needed then when it starts i switch it off again
    works GREAT !!!! 4 me
    pm me if ya want my phone nu and ill tell ya how I hooked mine up over the phone
    Randy