Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Won't Start!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BowtieBlazer, Apr 11, 2002.

1. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

Won\'t Start!

I wheeled my blazer this weekend and while hosing off something must have happened or I just lucked out and broke down in my driveway. Here are the symptoms. I believe its either the starter or the cylinoid.

-- key in the ignition when I turn to crank it makes a sort of clicking sound....almost like something is frying The choke light fades completely out if I hold the key inthe on position and fades back in when I release.

-- The battery terminals have been cleaned and checked for proper contact surfaces

-- with the starter unbolted from the engine but still power-fed the ignition makes no sound at all and the choke light stays constant

-- ran fine started multiple times after useage and hosing prior to this. Truck ran 5 minutes before I tried to restart.

***Other Info***
    By unbolted I mean hanging free but still connected. I realize that means its ungrounded. I also think the starter is the culprit. I just sprayed the starter motor connections...didnt have time to really clean them. Being that I was in a rush I just left the blazer at home and jumped in my 85 to come back to school. I won't be able to bench test the starter until this weekend.
    The battery is definately fully charged.

2. bigblue

bigblue 1/2 ton status

Re: Won\'t Start!

Double check your battery cables and make sure everything is kosher. I struggled with the same problems until I decided to get new battery and cables....just a thought

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Re: Won\'t Start!

Almost sounds like the solenoid is shot. Theres a way to test this externally, but I'm not sure how. You can disassemble the solenoid if you are careful and see for yourself if its bad. I had one that really cranked slow, then would stop turning over at all...took it apart, the metal disk inside the solenoid looked like a sponge from all the pits.

With the choke light dying, it sounds like the starter is drawing a lot, it's just not doing anything.