Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

won't start

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by sburk340, Feb 22, 2003.

1. sburk340

sburk340 Registered Member

won\'t start

i drove in some water yesterday,only about a foot deep, and pulled up a steep hill and my blazer died, and won't start now. It's an 84 4bbl carb. what could cause this? thanks a lot for any help

2. BowtieRed

BowtieRed 1/2 ton status Author

Re: won\'t start

sounds like possible hydrolock, and if you didn't rev it too hard it may be fixable. take off your spark plugs and look for water int he cylinder, if it's there vacuum it out. then try to start it in a couple days for good measure.

3. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

is it still sitting on the hill? is it possible all the gas just wont go into the carb the angle its at? Holley's are bad for this i believe. Check hydrolock signs if none, could it just be that its not getting any gas?

4. loudnowlouder

loudnowlouder 1/2 ton status

pull the cap off of your distributor, check for water in there too...i've seen this a few times, if the seal isnt working properly it'll keep it from firing...

what are the symptoms....kinda necessary to get more help...ie it'll crank, tried to fire but wont catch...or wont crank, or it'll crank and nothing else....
    list everything and you might get more useful aide.

good luck

5. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Check to see if your carb is getting any gas. If so, then check your igntion system. Check to see if you are getting spark.

Disconnect you front drives side spark plug wire and put a spare plug in it. Then ground it out on the frame and have someone turn the ignition over. If you see a spark crossing the gap, then you have spark.

I had a fuel pump going out recently, and if someone manually fed gas into the carb from the engine bay my truck would fire and run. But it was on such and angle that the fuel pump wouldn't suck gas up the lines to the carb. So it would die if they stopped pouring gas into the carb.