Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

wont stay runnig

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by willymonster, Mar 26, 2006.

1. willymonster

willymonster 1/2 ton status

got a little problem , my 58 willys wagon wont stay running. it has a 350 new carb manifold fuel pump and a fuel tank from a camaro . it will start somtimes stay running sometimes not . im about to drop the tank to investigate . i have noticed that the fuel in the fitler has air bubbles and starts to dribble back down the fuel line after i stop cranking it over anyone had this problem or got an idea ???:confused:

2. 1985_K5_Silverado

1985_K5_Silverado 1/2 ton status

Did you see and hear the 350 run while it was still in the Camaro? If so, did it seem to have this problem at that time?

3. willymonster

this motor has been in the willys a while i actually used to drive it to work every day . it just started doing this out of the blue so i put on an edelbrock crab and manifold on it i also put a new fuel pump on it . but still the same problem the fuel pump seemed to fix it at first but its back to doing it again . maybey the new fuel pump had more suction and sucked even more garbage into a blockage in the line or tank pickup ?

4. 78Suburban

78Suburban 1/2 ton status

I feel your pain :eek1:

5. yellowK20

yellowK20 Well Lubricated Premium Member GMOTM Winner

the pickup line in the tank may have holes in it

6. willymonster

well i pulled the tank looked inside eveything seems to be fine . im getting plenty of fuel it was just timed but it is still doooing iiiittt !!!!:confused: :confused: :confused: could this be an electrical problem ? it has an hei . does this sound familiar to anybody ? :crazy: what about a vacum leak ?

7. hack500

hack500 1/2 ton status

what're you getting for fuel pressure (as close to the carb as you can)?
    have you adjusted the idle mixture screws? is it a manual or electric choke? or did you just pull the old manifold/carb off and slap the new intake and carb on without any adjustment?

did you run new lines from the tank to the pump?

8. willymonster

well for fuel pressure the glass filter looks 3/4 full at least alll the time i dont have a guage . i actually took it to a race shop down the street for carb adjustment and fine tuning my patience for that is close to none . anyway it was running great after all tha the about 2 days later (not much driving ) it was back to doing it again now its so bad even if i dump a cup of gas in the carb it just backfires and goes back to cranking over . could it be electrical? timing ? maybey the fuel pressure is to low looks like theres alot coming in though . i am stumped :confused: (it is mech choke if that helps )

9. hack500

hack500 1/2 ton status

I'd check the timing again.
    IF there are no vacuum leaks or fuel problems and it was timed correctly and the distributor hasn't moved then it sounds possible that the timing chain might've jumped a tooth.

10. yoshisv

yoshisv 1/2 ton status

If it is a old rubber fuel line it may be collapsed. If you pour fuel in the carb and it wont start then it probably is the timing, Or maybe the distributer.